• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So when

flatheadhunter87

A lot of it is water temp dependent.

The shallow water makes for more competition and limits spawning areas.

It's probably going to be one of those staggered spawn deals and I think the bite will be noticably better mid-summer this year compared to the past few years.

Not much basis for that theory, more of a gut feeling.

Having said that I bet we start seeing some beat up fish in a couple of weeks

My guess would be early July if conditions stay the way they are.

At least around my stretch.

As far as technique...same as always just expect to enjoy being out on the river more than catching fish.

With the topic of spawn.....Someo of you guys hopefully can answer this..........How do your techniques change after the spawn? Choice of bait?

Here is my post spawn technique - Fish more and longer and catch less but don't stop fishing. The BIG ONES are yet to be seen. You have to be fishing to catch fish so never give up.

I agree with Steve on not giving up. I got skunked like 12 times in a row last year after the spawn. Those are personal flathead skunks, mind you. There were some channel cats and sheepshead and even my first softshell turtles in there, so depending on your definition of skunk, I might be exaggerating.

No matter how slow it gets for flatheads, there are still fish out there, so keep putting in the time and they'll bite. If nothing else you might catch a turtle.

I mostly find that I just have to work harder to catch fish. More time on the water and always searching out new spots. It seems like the feeding windows can be shorter to, and at some odd times.

I think that catching flats rightafter the spawn to me is kinda like bass (sorry for the four letter word) on the beds if you target the areas were they have spawned and throw a bullie in there I think they will slam to protect their bed. but thats just my thoughts remember I think like a catfish.

I think that the spawn will be in about 2 weeks if the weather cooperates. now does anyone no if the water temp for some reason delays will some of the female cats abort,absorb,disguard, there eggs. This happens with other fish just a thought to consider

I mostly find that I just have to work harder to catch fish. More time on the water and always searching out new spots. It seems like the feeding windows can be shorter to, and at some odd times.

Amen. Maybe with all the lines we got in the water we can report when we 1st start seeing beaten fish.