Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
new_kid

Swim baits

21 posts in this topic

I am just trying out some swimbaits this year and i am looking for ideas on ones that will hold up i have some of the berkley hollow belly shad and they seem to tear easy when hooked weedless just wondering if anyone has any good weighted hooks or swimbaits that seem to hold up better

I use a super line EWG and pinch weights.

I have never heard of pinch weights who makes them and where can i get them

Why are hollow body swim baits so expensive? I want to try them but have a hard time coughing up $8 for something that tears easily.

Try the castiac Jerky J swims.. they have held up quite good for me.

Pinch weights are made by DOA. You can also buy rubber-core sinkers and take out the rubber. You may need to open the gap a little to get them on the bigger hooks. The pinch weights are a lot easier to use, just more expensive.

the yum swim baits are good cheaper and you get more i use the swim bait hooks there weighted and you dont have to rip them trying to get the hook in, i have seen guys stuffing a jig in them

Try the Shadalicious

Ill second the yum versions the bass magic and shadilicous (same mold) are my least favorite.

i love the shadilicious baits!!! also the flat tire minnows from cabelas, and the silly rabbit and silly bunny swimbaits. all are good producers for me.

to be honest... I LOVE the banjo minnows, they have caught me more bass and pike last year than any other swimbait and jerkbait combined!

Sunday I took a yum tube and paired it with some unweighted offset worm hook. Couldn't cast it very far but the worm hook gave it some awesome action when worked like a jerkbait (better side to side action than a subwalk). It had a spiral fall so maybe next time I try it a swivel is in order. Caught a few pike on it leading me to believe it looked more like a jerkbait than a bass tube. Probably would have caught more but storms chased us off after 15 minutes fishing that way.

Sunday I took a yum tube and paired it with some unweighted offset worm hook. Couldn't cast it very far but the worm hook gave it some awesome action when worked like a jerkbait (better side to side action than a subwalk). It had a spiral fall so maybe next time I try it a swivel is in order. Caught a few pike on it leading me to believe it looked more like a jerkbait than a bass tube. Probably would have caught more but storms chased us off after 15 minutes fishing that way.

SWEET! was it a YUM vibra king? or just a regular tube?

i remember using YUM craw tubes with alot of success when i was a kid

Sorry, that's funny as you're still a kid bud..

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake

Sorry, that's funny as you're still a kid bud..

im 17, not really a kid anymore lol. a kid to me in up to 13years old. lol

"Kid" is all in perspective to the person saying it. Heck, I'm still a kid at 38 to my parents..

"Kid" is all in perspective to the person saying it. Heck, I'm still a kid at 38 to my parents..

Just to your parents? Haha, I bet a bunch of people would say it still. :-p

Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich

Just to your parents? Haha, I bet a bunch of people would say it still. :-p

Your probably right. I dont do a very good job of acting my age. .

Very True, just funny to see when folks much much younger than me and in their teens are saying when they were a kid....very true Deitz, it's all in perspective.

Deitz, I got some castiac Jerky J swimbaits after you mentioned them in an earlier post. I rigged it with an owner weighted beast hook and gave it a try.

In my first outing I landed a 34" tiger musky but didn't get any bass... Can't say that i'm unhappy smile

Congrats on the Ski.. the bass will come.. Glad you like em.. IO think they have a better action then a lot of the holly body tubes. And they look more realistic to me.

Way to go Samurai!! Another way I rig them is just on a Mushroom head jig. Can't work them in all the heavy weeds. But they are great in Cabbage as you can just "pop" them and slice through the cabbage when you get it caught.