• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flipping with braided line

TODDY

Hey all,

In flipping jigs with braided line in very clear water do you guys usually use a fluorocarbon leader (14-17 lb test)? If so do you tie a barrel swivel to connect the leader to the main line?

Thanks,

TODDY

I don't even waste the time tying a leader, i just flip with 20 to 25 lb fluorocarbon in clear water. If i'm fishing in really thick weeds but it clear water i will us a black magic marker on the closes two feet to the lure.

I try to say way from leader as much as i can, it just one more thing that can brake.

I would go with a back to back uni-knot. If you don't know how to tie it just you tube uni knot. That is the only knot I have using this year and I have found it works very good with braid also. Some people say the palomar knot is the only way to go with braid but I find the uni to be as good.

here is my take.. if your flipping or pitching, your usually throwing it in some sort of cover. Those fish are often just a reaction strike and are not line shy. They dont get a good enough look at it as if they are in heavy cover, they are already in ambush mode.

\

If you were fishing open water, then its more important to worry about line.

I agree with the reaction bite. There is so much cover around that they rarely take the time to look at everything. Pretty scary to run a 7-6 med/heavy to heavy rod and have an extra knot in there.

Hiya -

I have 2 flipping sticks rigged up. One with 50# braid and the other with 20# fluoro.

If I'm fishing something that's really a reaction strike deal - jig and pig or a creature with a fairly heavy weight, I think braid is fine with no leader. There's so much stuff around for the line to blend into that I really doubt they're going to notice the line - and I flip in some REALLY clear water a lot of the time.

If I'm flipping something that falls a little slower like a Beaver-style bait or Sabertail Bug on a Jungle-Lock jig, where I want it to fall slowly and glide more, I use Fluoro. Fish get to study it a little more so the clear line might help (it does in my head anyhow, which is half the battle), plus the larger diameter slows down the fall a little.

My pitching rod has braid, but if I'm pitching something that falls slow in REALLY clear water I will add a fluoro leader if I think fish are being line shy. I add a 5' 20# leader, and connect it with back to back Uni-Knots - 3 turns on the fluoro, 5 on the braid. Just have to make sure the leader's short enough so the knot is past the top guide when you're ready to pitch. Really though, the occasions where I add a leader are pretty rare.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I do similar to RK, I have 2 flippin rods with 50# braid. One that has 25 pound flouro, and another that has 20# flouro. The 20# fouro, is a 7-3 mh and all others are 7-6 or 7-11. Have a new 7-6 that is getting made...

i think braid looks like salad that they are living in (like already stated) i cut a bass open once (just once) and it had as much moss in it as it did crayfish so i don't think they mind eating your line:)