Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooter

Bulldawg/Super D repair

12 posts in this topic

Is heat/melting the way to go? I've heard some of the glues that used to work no longer do, possibly because of changes in the plastic used to make them. I've been fortunate and haven't had to do any repairs yet so I'm just a greenhorn at it. Maybe if I caught more fish I'd have it figured out by now! cry

Haven't tried the glue but a butane torch works wonders. In a pinch, a regular lighter will do ya pretty well. Don't melt/mix other plastics for filler.

I was thinking of trying the glue "mend it" this year.

Mend it is rather new i think. It's probably aimed specifically towards the bull dawg/super d's.

Thorne Bros forum on their HSOforum has a video clip on repairing bull dawgs ... very helpful.

Forget all that stuff, torch or glue.

Battery powered soldering iron! Home dEpot, $20. No mess, no flames, no burned fingers, no fuss.

I've always gotten a few more casts when I glue it but I hate the mess so I just keep a blow torch in the boat, it's alot easier and I don't get any glue on my hands

Mend-It definitely gets my voite. This isn't a glue, but it acts just like it. It actually chemically bonds soft plastic to soft plastic. Easy to use and does a great job. Mend-It was developed for the soft plastic bass fishermen and is huge in that market. It's just lately taking off in the musky market as well.

Aaron

I've used Mend it and it seems to work really well. Only downfall is that you can't used the lure right away. Takes about a day or so for the glue to really do its thing.

If you have a little time Mend-It is the stuff! If you’re in the boat and need a fast fix, I use a torch lighter and it works fine.

I have even cut a tail off on one of my SuperDs and re-glued it on with Mend-It and fished all day with the lure and it was like nothing ever happened to it. As mentioned above, you need to fix it and let it sit for a propper bond.

James