• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Couple of Questions On A 40 Evinrude

gunflint

It's a 95 oil injected. I've heard a couple of different theories on oil injection. One side says disconnect it and mix it yourself so you never have to worry about oil injection problems. The other side says if you mix it yourself you will foul a lot of plugs. I've had no injection problems so far but they can be spendy.

The other question has to do with the bleepin buzzer that goes off every time you turn the key. I'm sure that it's some sort of oil warning buzzer. Can I just unplug it or won't the motor start without hooked up? Thanks.

Not being a boat mechanic, is there a light that comes on when you turn on the key like a low oil level light or something? I have used lights that are small round that have a built in buzzer in them. you could disconnect the buzzer however then you have to watch for a light only. Could be an issue if you have problems and do not notice it. You could aways add a light someplace on the boat if you wanted to as a warning but who wants to deal with that mess too. I would not mix the oil yourself simply as the engine is set up with the injection and has a certain size orface for altitude etc. Granted you could always mix to 50/50 or what ever but that is a pain too. I guess not much help just wanted to throw my suggestoin out. Jeff

OMC's VRO pumps had more problems in the early 90's... you should be ok with a 95... if you're concerned, have it replaced. Problem fixed. That said, mixing your own gas, if you use one pint to 6 gallons, you shouldn't have any problems with fowling plugs.

With respect to the alarm - is it on all the time, or just the check beep /noise to tell you that it's working?

marine_man

I have a early 90s 40, would love to rip the buzzer out of it. the thing is always going off. took it into a shop, said it was the oil tank, replaced it, did not fix the problem.

i purchased a 96 evinrude that had burned down one cylinder from the oil pump going out. I rebuilt it put it on my boat without oil pump runs good, never switched any thing in the carb. unhooked oil pump line was it and removed pump. I mixed it to start at a 25/1 ratio and will do the same for one tank at the start of this season then going to 40/1. It ran good for the few days i got out before stowing it. Never fouled any plugs if that were an issue dont mix the oil as rich.

Owner of a 1998 Evinrude 50hp and I get the beep/whistle thing when I first turn the key telling me the alarm is on, and that is the only time I hear it. Doesn't bother me at all.

As for disconnecting it, nope....still running the oil injection in mine. There is a good reading on the VRO pump out on the net. Do a search for "VRO myths" on yahoo....it should come up as the first site.

The VRO pump catches a lot of flack and I hear it all the time that I should disconnect it ASAP....I am far from an engine expert, but if I understand how the pump works, it premixs the oil with the fuel before it enters the cylinders...so each cylinder would get the same ratio. Not saying the pump didn't take out 1 cylinder, but I would also like to think that maybe there was a gasket issue or something else that helped "lead" the one cylinder to fail.

on the webpage, it does give good diagrams to how the pump works and I believe it also shows you how to bypass it. I believe there is a switch by the pump you'll need to flip also to bypass the alarm system.(there is good material on the net to show you how)

None the less, I'll continue to run my Evi' the way it was intended to run.....injected

Just my 2 cents

Steve

The VRO pump catches a lot of flack and I hear it all the time that I should disconnect it ASAP

This advice is 100% dependent on how old your VRO pump is. If it's from the early 90's they did have problems with the VRO pumps not functioning properly and burning down a cylinder. As of 95 or so they've been much better and have had little problems.

So, there was an issue at one time, but just because a motor has a VRO pump on it doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be a problem.

marine_man

I just picked up a boat this spring that had a 97 VRO 60 evinrude on it ,, ran great first cuple of times out then bang out the pump went,, I am lucky i guess because i have a few buddies in the marine biz, and all 3 said the same thing,, the older VRO systems were junk and the newer version VRO wasnt much better,, Bummer to pre mix now ,, but on the other hand they all said i would have a much more dependable motor in the in ,, I paid to have it done and just to have it all checked over by someone who nows more than my self and the total bill can to 163.00 ... The new fuel pump cost verus the replace ment cost was another factor for me plus the depenability. replacement part cost was 325 to 78 to put in a regular fuel pump...The beeping you hear is the alarm,, diconnecting it is to me not a good idea.. if you are hearing it more than at start up you got a problem

Lots of good posts in this thread, thanks guys. I think that when my oil tank runs low I'll disconnect it. I don't mind mixing at all. As far as the bleepin beeper goes I'm pulling the plug. I've been around outboards enough to know when I have a problem.