Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishinguy40

Boat Storage - Keeping Mice Out

9 posts in this topic

I know this topic has been discussed before but I was wondering if anybody has better suggestions.

This winter, like every winter, I stored my boat in a friends barn. Besides the "normal winterizing", I place BOUNCE dryer sheets all over the boat. And yes, I did use BOUNCE, not another brand.

Anyhow, when I got the boat home and took the cover off last week, I had to vacuum soybeans from some of the storage compartments. Seems like a good indication that critters got into the boat. The really big indication was when I went into the bow storage compartment to remove the BOUNCE sheets and the litle Ba@#$ds actually used the BOUNCE sheets to make a nest behind the battery charger that is mounted there.

Luckily there doesn't appear to be any damage from the critters. They seemed to use a lot of carpet nap for their nest but doesn't look like they chewed any holes in any one area. I vacuumed everything really good. Just wondering what to do this winter. Any suggestions?

I used to have 3 pole sheds at our last place, we stored alot of boats. People used Bounce, moth balls and pepermint oil.

The biggest thing was to make sure there was no food or old food packaging in the boat. The only time anyone had damage to the wiring and apolstry in thier boat was when they had left ziplocks of dog food in 2 compartments. Putting things like De-con or Hawk in the boats seemed to attract mice too.

One person joked that he would just throw an open peanutbutter jar in the boat next to his and he never had any mice in his boat.

I'm not at all a believer in the dryer sheets. I take several old socks and put mothballs in them, then stash them around the boat. Works great and doesn't take long at all to get rid of the stench in the spring - just open the compartment doors and park it in the sun and breeze for a while.

I agree, make sure there's no food in there, including De-con.

I was a believer in Bounce, but that quickly changed when a mouse made a nest out of it....in one week! A new dryer sheet inside a small ATV airbox, and the darn mouse didn't even care. It made an even worse nest!

I've learned to clean everything out, no food, nothing to make a nest out of.

Never tried moth balls, that's next!

Best thing for mouse proofing is a cat, period! Just the smell of a cat and the mice disappear. I live out in the country sort of, anyway there is a stray wild cat running around. You cant get near it but I do slip it some food in the winter just to keep it around if you know what I mean.

I know this topic has been discussed before but I was wondering if anybody has better suggestions.

Anyhow, when I got the boat home and took the cover off last week, I had to vacuum soybeans from some of the storage compartments. Seems like a good indication that critters got into the boat. The really big indication was when I went into the bow storage compartment to remove the BOUNCE sheets and the litle Ba@#$ds actually used the BOUNCE sheets to make a nest behind the battery charger that is mounted there.

LOL I read the heding and though duh bounce sheets, they haven't failed me yet

I use dryer sheets and moth balls, my boat is stored at a farm with plenty of mice and I've had no problems.

Another thing to pay attention to is not to leave boat tarp straps or bungee cords hanging down or fastened where is makes an easy "mice ladder".

I dont fasten my tarp down at all. It is just loose laid with the straps tucked up back in the boat. They would have had to climb about a foot or more of vertical aluminum to get in. I think they would have a hard time with that.

My boat stays out at a friends grain farm where there is plenty of mice around and I have been mouse free so far. Keeping food away is also VERY important.

I know what ever a guy does they still seem to find a way in, but this should help. Its amazing how such a small creature can cause such a huge problem.

I have seen one storage shed owner use bloodmeal sprinkled around the exterior of the boat/rv, on the floor, and he says that the rats/mice can't stand the stuff. Hasn't had any problems. Don't know whats in it to drive them away.