• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your dog found what???!!!!!!

setterguy

I know that dogs find some unusuall things in the field or woods, who's got the strangest?

Here are mine.

I was grouse hunting with a buddy about four years ago when his dog starts acting kinda funny over to our right. We go over to investigate and found a dead cow, in the middle of the woods. That was very wierd.

My friends dog once came home with a deers head, I guess the neighbor had shot a buck and forgot to close the garage door.

One time out grouse hunting I heard my dog start barking, I couldn't see him as he was in front a ways. All of a sudden he comes running back at me, then right by me, right back to the truck. I don't know what he found, not sure if I want to.

Anxious to hear yours.

------------------
Keep the tip up, ask permission and shoot straight. Setterguy
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by setterguy (edited 09-28-2004).]

When Charlie was a pup I took him grouse hunting on our property up by Walker. We were a swamp edge and I see him lock up up ahead. I get up there and about 10 feet in front of him I can see a huge antler rack sticking up out of the grass. It is a perfectly intact dried skeleton of a Very respectable 10 pointer. Dried and bleached perfect. It is now hanging on my living room wall. I could see no visible signs of tramau to the skeleton but it died Some 2 years prior around the hunting season.

I was lucky enough to shoot a perfect match of this on a couple years later that one is almost done bieng dried so I will have a matching pair on the wall.

------------------
Brian Rogers
FM Sponsors

[email protected]

Well, there is the skunk incident near Aberdeen, SD my dog found. The smell was so strong that it didn't even smell like a skunk. At first I actually thought a farmer spilled a whole bunch of chemicals in the field. I now know how dogs locate gamebirds though. Every time I was downwind of her I knew exactly where she was.

Then of course there's the rotting fox carcass incident. We won't go into that one though.

[This message has been edited by gspman (edited 09-29-2004).]

About thee weeks ago my dog was in the field for one of her first times ever. We were scouting for duck hunting and she just stopped dead in her tracks. I told her to "come-on" a few times and she normally comes flying over to me. I walked over to her and she was standing over a dead deer that was in like a gelatin state. I've hunted for years and never seen anything like this. It was like the bones and everything were melting away. Luckily Libby was about as grossed out by it as I was so she didn't take any licks of it, but wow it was pretty bad.

I was out testing the repairs that I made to an old 4 wheeler in a farmers field that I know and let the dog out to run. About 10 minutes later I call the dog to get back into the truck. What I didn't know was that the farmer let a pumping company dump their stuff in the field. He is a yellow lab and came back blue. It took 2 bottles of shampoo before he was let back into the house 3 days later.

I have a 2 year old german shorthair and last season on 2 seperate occasions he went on point and when i went ahead too try too get the bird up, both times i found very nice 8-pointers lying dead in the set aside fields. A lot of people would have mounted either one of them. Both were found a couple weeks after the first gun season, i assumed they were gutshot or something. Had too be some very disappointed hunters too not find either of these bucks.

I wish my dog found dead deer. Out duck hunting and she disaapears i nteh cattails -- I think morning duty--than I hear a chaomping sound --I think eating cattails--I yell she comes adn nothing wrong--she disappears and I hear chomping -- I yell here and she comes back. She lays down and I hear her chomping away like a hungry beaver-- to my surprise and disgust she was eating a rotten carp head and the chomping sound was her teeth grinding against the skull. I barfed -- as I picked the head up and threw it.

Every year, in the fall, when we butcher deer we drag the carcass out to a low land ishy spot in the HUGE field behind my house. It's a good 1/4 mile away.

Every spring my boys and myself clean up the skeletons and what's left of the carcasses that my black lab drug back into the yard during the winter.

It's kind of a tradition. We know winter is over the day we clean up deer skeletons.