• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

water heater wont stay lit

bgreen82

so last friday we noticed we had no hot water. so i followed the instructions and re-lit the pilot on the heater before leaving for work. by the time i got home it was out. did it again saturday and it worked through sunday night but when i went to take a shower this morning, all cold, pilot out. any thoughts.

if its the new style its a sealed unit with 2 nuts hold on the access cover if it has that little penzo lighter like on grills if that's the case there's a little thermo disk on the sensor line and if the ceramic disk under the burner gets plugged with dust and dirt the thermo disc opens due to lack of air getting to it so in that case you will need to blow air from under the heater up to clean all the air holes then you have to replace the thermo disc which the onlt way of doing that is by replacing the hole burner assembly but that's the new ones hopefully you have the old style if you don't its a chore

If you replace it and still have problems it could be a strong down draft down the chimney and if it is it will also cause thw flue gas to back up into your home causing carbon monoxide to build up in your home hopefully not the problem but another idea, if you don't have one allready get a co detector for your home.

Had the same problem last winter. Was told to replace the thermocoupler. After it didn't work the first time, was told to replace it again, might have been a bad part. That still didn't fix the problem. After a visit from the appliance repair man it was determined it had a bad gas valvev. So after being about $200 into with out a fix, just bought a new water heater as mine was pretty old and not worth the roughly $200 to replace the valve.

Sounds like you have a power vent water heater but you didn't actually say so. How many feet of vent piping do you have? How many elbows are used and what size pipe is it vented in? I've seen a water heater keep losing it's pilot light when the venting was too far away from the water heater. I imagine you still have the literature that came with the water heater. If you do, look at what the manufacture recommends and see if it was installed accordingly.

Redantern is right on that another thing I have run across is manufactuers installing the pressure switch in the bottum side of the horizontal vent wich makes the pressure switch not work because it builds up condensation and the heater say blocked vent/inlet. If you have a newer power vent heater and the book their should be a light flashing red when the heater will not run count the blinks and go through the book it will tell you what is wrong this only works on newer heaters.

I live about 3.5 miles west on 5 towards Isanti by saint johns cemetary if you ever go down 5 you drive right in front of my house. I do alot of my bowhunting a little north of checkerboard park if you go west from the sunrise bar you would just about run into from my hunting honeyhole so don't be surprised to see the newmech van down their either.

You hunt almost in my backyard. I live on Lowden and Hay Creek road. I used have a bunch of sleddogs in my backyard but now I'm down to two. Stop in sometime if you're in the neighborhood. I got the great big old blue chevy crew cab and the little black saturn in the driveway.

When you go down louden and cross the first bridge on the dirt their is a field road that goes in on the left when your heading north my portable is about 50 yards in on the grown over feild I shot four deer out of that stand this year and the funny thing is I can shoot almost to the road and watch ever vehical that drives by so durinig bow season when your between the two bridges look west and wave I'll be their controlling the heard so you don't hit them with you truck their is way to many deer there. Oh and drive slow fast vehicals make the deer nervous when I'm trying to arrow them.

Arch, that's funny that you've been hunting so close and we've never met. Been seeing a lot of deer at night crosssing on Wilcox road. I ought to get your e-mail or phone number. I feel kind of bad about highjacking this guys thread.