• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullhead tank

harvey lee

I have never had a filter in my bullhead tank.

What should I purchase and where can I get it?

I use an AquaClear 110 Power Filter. I bought it at PetSmart. I went on-line to the PetSmart HSOforum and it was $35 but they wanted $78 in the store. I printed the page from the HSOforum and the store honored the on-line price.

I've had my PowerFilter for 4 years and it is still running strong. I am going to set up my tank this week. My favorite bullhead pond was clear of ice yesterday.

Its $89.99 on PetSmart's HSOforum right now. If I'm not mistaken, over $100 in the store.

I tried the price match deal last spring and no one at the store was interested in doing it, so I just purchased one from the store as I needed it. I then ordered one online and returned that one to the store as it was much cheaper. When I returned it, the manager said you should have let us know you found a cheaper price as we'd have price matched it for you. Go figure.

Moral of the story... talk to the manager about a price match first, they'll do it for ya.

WOW! The price on the AquaClear 110 went up significantly since I bought mine a few years ago. I went on [YouNeedAuthorization] just out of curiosity and found a place (Tiny's Pond World) that is selling the AquaClear 500 (the same as the 110 just an older model) for $71 with free shipping. If you wanted to save a few bucks that would be the way to go.

My 110 has lasted a long time and I run it 24/7 from April to October.

how much would it cost to set up a bullhead tank and how do you do it?

Eric - I'll do a Cat Tip of the Day with my bait tank info in it with some pictures. That post should get the yearly bait tank discussion going.

Steve

the one good thing about running a small bait shop is all the tank supplies and pumps at a great price!!! smile i made a pretty neat set up about a month ago and im planning on getting a nice filtration system for it! i haven't checked too much into it yet, but when its all done.. My bullheads will be VERY happy! smile i will post some pictures later on so you can see my masterpiece lol!

So how long do you guys normally put out minnow traps- (for bullies) how long?

I haven't put out my traps yet but I checked my ponds yesterday and it looks like now is just about the right time to start. My traps seem to be most effective in the spring. I put them out and check them daily. Traps are an easy way to collect bait - I have some good ponds near my house and it only takes a few minutes to check them. I tend to catch the smaller bullheads in my traps and those are the ones I use for cut bait. Once the weather warms and the cat season gets in full swing my traps are a good way to keep my bait tank replenished and a good supply of bullies always on hand.

Until someone finds your traps, and steals the bait, then a couple times later, just steals the traps mad

Knock on Wood!! I've never had that happen and I've been using traps for a lot of years. One of the reasons may be that I almost always tie my trap ropes to stakes that are in the water. I always wear waders and my traps are out a ways so they aren't accessible from shore.