• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Unemployment rates, hard times, and deer hunting

We all know that the economy has problems. I just googled "unemployment rates in Minnesota by county". As of March 2009:

North of the metro unemployment is almost all double digits. For example:

Clearwater county 21.5% unemployed (21.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Kanabec county 17.9% unemployed

Marshall county 15.7% unemployed

Mille Lacs county 15.4% unemployed

Pine county 14.8% unemployed

Roseau county 14.4% unemployed

Itasca county 12.7% unemployed

Metro and south is almost all single digit unemployment.

Deer hunting has long been a big part of our lives in good times and bad. This fall many up north will get together with friends and family to hunt deer. Not all, but many of the hunts will be very basic. Purchasing a license may be the only money spent. Maybe a box of shells. Walk out the back door. Hopefully have a good hunt, special time with others and bring home some meat. A big buck would be icing on the cake, but it will be deer hunting. Any legal deer. One's position on deer hunting debates can be greatly influenced, for better or worse, by your financial state of affairs. All want to shoot a big buck, but it's easier to take money out of a family budget for hunting if you don't pass any opportunity to bring home some meat. Better known by some as "if it's brown, its down". While I am fully employed, I see friends losing jobs or having hours cut. Their approach to deer hunting is reverting back to what it was 40, 50, 60 years ago. Hunter, a gun, deer, and the woods. Can't afford anything else. Deer hunting is a wonderful thing, in that it doesn't have to be expensive or complicated to enjoy it! I hope this economy turns around soon, but if it doesn't ( and that's seems more likely), I hope all us deer hunters can work together at this time to help others around us, and not be overly critical of the way others hunt (as long as its legal), or what they shoot.

lakevet

I'm unemployed with venison in my freezer. Unfortunatly I was also unemployed last season too. That veni in the freezer really makes a big differance when its time to put meat on the table. I've taken does the past 2 years just for this purpose. But if it comes down to it I'm also taking a small buck for the family and have. Every thing is a trophy when its meat on the table. Just my thought

I've been unemployed for over a year here in Kanabec county. I was doing concrete work and laying block before my boss retired. Now I've been looking for work forever and applying for alot of jobs, but getting nothing for it. frown

I feel bad for all MN' people and the job situation. I know so many that were ousted to keep lower salaried employee's and many others wondering if I'll be next or am I safe from this. I wish anyone in this situation or the job hunt the best of luck, these are tough times and my wife was 1 that was fired so keep your chin up and good luck. It sure messes with retirement and self worth and more. No doubt, we better leave deer seasons as is for now, the meat will do some families a blessing for sure and especially in these economic times. M.B.

This would be good for me also, but what about also helping those out that want to hunt, but cannot afford it, how about donating cash to buy licenses, maybe help out with some ammo or clothing, I may be also willing to help out there.

Hunters helping hunters...... sounds like a plan to me...

Mark