• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grass Seeds

schmoe147

Lwnmwnman is correct. You can put seed down when ever you want. It won't germinate until conditions are ideal.

If you are seeding this spring avoid using crabgrass pre-emergent and broadleaf herbicides in the area that you are planting. These will prevent the new seed from sprouting. Its how it prevents crabgrass.

I just got some seed and an erosion mat (for hillside) today, adn will be seeding this weekend on my hill. Adding some oats in too - thanks to advice here from folks. Steve at the Hugo Feed Mill was really helpful. He told me I have time to wait for the rest of my yard, but if the soil on hill is loose enough that it isn't too early. I like that 55+ smile SE facing hill should be warm enough soon to get some grass/oats going.

I just got some seed and an erosion mat (for hillside) today, adn will be seeding this weekend on my hill. Adding some oats in too - thanks to advice here from folks. Steve at the Hugo Feed Mill was really helpful. He told me I have time to wait for the rest of my yard, but if the soil on hill is loose enough that it isn't too early. I like that 55+ smile SE facing hill should be warm enough soon to get some grass/oats going.

The only problem you may run into, is if you get a nice couple of warm days and you actually do see some germination, a decent freeze at night might damage those new shoots.

Hey Charley, yep, the "Freedom Mix", along with some oats, and an erosion control fabric. I was up north this weekend, and all the snow runoff was done, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. Mainly just sand from where the stairs posts were dug and the runoff washed that down the hill more, but not and of the main construction sand fill.

I thought about LawnMan2's warning (thanks!) and decided not to seed yet. It is going to rain, and still pretty early. So I just used a little of the fabric at top of hill to patch up a low spot, added in some of the tough construction landscape fabric to make sure no rain runoff goes down hill, and I will wait for a bit warmer weather.

i also didn't want the seed to wash down hill if it rains big. I took the measurements for the other areas of the yard, and will go back to Steve at the Mill and get the right seed for the flat areas and driveway (just going to seed it this year, not enough ca$h for doing anythign else... heh...).

They were really helpful up there, thanks for the tip!

Box,

Steve can set you up with some starter fertilizer that really makes a difference in getting things going. The oats trick is also great. I had to replace a hill 4 times before I was smart enough to ask him what was the best solution.

Tom

Yeah, I got the fertilizer from him, but am not sure if I will use it, as it is so close the lake and is basically phosophorous... maybe just a little at the top, not sure yet. I am not a fertilizer user, especially at the lake, but know that maybe having grass get going is lesser evil than runoff for longer... that erosion mat I hope will help, and i sure do want it to take on first try, though it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be, mostly sand from post holes over already established "rough" grass.

It would be better in the long run to use the Phosphorus and get the turf established with a good root system. That in turn will help with thin grass and possible run off for the rest of the years at the property.

Like anything else, the better the foundation, the better the product.