• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Honda Foreman 450 ES

erikwells

I had my first issue with my machine on Friday. I took my boys down the road to say hello to a neighbor. When I went to start it when we were ready to leave I had no power. When I pushed the started I got nothing. I turned the lights on and got nothing. I used the pull start and it started right up. I thought maybe it's time for a new battery. I put it in reverse and backed up. When I tried to put it into first gear I got nothing. I was stuck in reverse. The display was flashing and the 4 wheel drive was no longer engaged either. I drove in reverse about a mile home. I'm not easily emberrassed but this would have been emeberrassing if a neighbor had driven by. At any rate I need my 4 wheeler bad. Any ideas on what I'm looking at in terms of what needs to be repaired and how much it might run? Or any mechanics someone can suggest. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

EW

EW

LEP is right on. Check that all connections are good. My guess would be loose battery terminals. One thing with the ES models is there is an option to use the foot shifter for emergencies. Under your seat there should be a shifter lever that'll slip on right by the foot peg. I had a friend whose ES was stuck in neutral and he was able to use the foot shifter to get it back home.

There is an electronic sensor that is located near the spud for the foot shifter. Sometimes that gets bumped a little and doesn't register the transmission's location. Other times that sensor goes bad. If I remember correctly there may have been a recall on those sensors, I had an 03 rancher with ES and the sensor was replaced a couple times. The sensor is small black about the size of a film canistor with white writing on it.

You know I should get my head all the way out of my ---. I should check the battery connections under the seat. I also have a plow on there and I should check to see if any moisture may have made it's way into the connection of the wires on the front of the machine. That makes great sense especially being I didn't even use wire nuts on the connection, I just used electrical tape. I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it turns out. I appreciate you both taking your time to respond.

Erik

I had the same issue with a 04 Rancher. These guys are right on with the foot shifter (mine is located in the back compartment) that is slipped on for emergencies. My issue was a poorly wired handwarmer that was draining my battery. Rewired it, replaced the battery and all was good to go. Have not had a problem with it in 2 years of sporadic riding.

I had an issue with my 04 Rancher with the flashing display and it wouldn't shift. I bought a service manual and followed the trouble shooting guide. That lead me to the shift position sensor. The part was 50 bucks, and was easy to replace.

Last night I pulled the battery out and blew all of the [PoorWordUsage] that has settled in the battery compartment. I cleaned all of the connections which did not look bad (no corrosion. I went to put the battery back in and I couldn't get the screws to catch and tighten down on the connection. I pulled the battery back out and there was a little like brass fitting that sits inside of the battery post and one was missing. I found the missing fitting in the battery compartment and put it back in. FIXED! I took a little cruise around my place and had to dodge one of those ugly opossums. Thanks for the advice I really was not looking forward to a bill.