• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Four Seasons, Four Bird Images..

As spring approaches quickly I felt like reflecting a bit over the last year. Great spring 08 for shorebirds, like this Dunlin. Found a protective killdeer during summer 08. Spent quality time with Lapland Longspurs fall 08. The redpolls rocked the winter 08 and 09. All images taken with either a Minolta5d, or SonyA300, with a Tokina80-400mm lens. Thanks for viewing. Comments and critiques always welcome smile

Regards, Shawn Zierman.

springdun2.jpg

summerkil2.jpg

falllap2.jpg

winterred.jpg

Nice work, Shawn. smile

Since you specifically asked for C&C (we don't critique photos on this and the bird watching board unless it's requested, which allows the poster to make the C&C choice), I'll say they all are nicely sharp and excellent exposures. The behavior of preening in the dunlin, the calling of the killdeer and the open bill of the longspur add value to those images, because while the birds are still clearly pictured they also are more attractive through that behavior. The feather detail in the dunlin is wonderful. In the redpoll image, I like how alert the bird is, the fact that it's angled toward the camera, and the simple perch slashing diagonally through the clean background adds a nice touch.

In the killdeer image, I found the OOF background dandelion positioned directly in the bird's open bill a distraction, but a very small distraction and one I think only nitpicky photographers would tend to notice.

I also appreciate that you are at or nearly at the same level as all these subjects, which makes for a more intimate feel.

Again, nice work, and good luck with this spring's shorebird migration! smilesmile