• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 2 stroke 25 hp or a 25hp 4 stroke any manufacturer

swedishpimple

The time has come for me to get a new motor for my duck boat/work boat/fishing boat.

For years I have been running an old Volvo Penta 39 hp Outboard...a rare breed. I also have run a 1977 15 hp Evinrude.

Both motors have issues and I need something better.

I use this boat when there is still ice on the lake in the spring and when there is ice on that lake in the fall.

The boat is a Mid 1970's Lund 16' that is tough as nails. Back then it was rated for a 40 hp motor...the new Lunds I have seen are rated for 30 hp.

I am a big guy..anywhere from 275 on a good day to 330 on a bad day. My dog is big too...so weight is an issue as well as money.

I am really leaning towards the lighter and simple maintenance 2 stroke Yamaha before they are not avaialable any more. The heavier 4 strokes may be better for fishing, but I do more work and running with the boat then I do fishing.

I would like to be able to troll down and fish some.

An reasons any of you may go witht he 4 stroker over the 2 stroke??

One concern is a possible ban of 2 stroke motors starting in Canada and then heading this way.

I have a Yamaha 4 stroke and would NEVER go back to a 2 stroke. First off, if you want to idle down for trolling, a 4 stroke will run at the lowest rpm possible-ALL DAY LONG.

Next, simple maintenance? 4 stroke has that beat as well. Change the oil and you're good to go. Plugs foul much less than the old 2 stroke. No carburator issues etc.

Just the quiet alone is good enough reason for me to stick with a 4 stroke also. Just fish with someone who has one and you'll see what I mean.

Spend the extra money and be happy for years to come.

Ditto. I like everything better about 4 stroke over 2 stroke except for the extra weight. I was initially concerned about low end punch with a 4S, but my 75 Yam seems to have plenty.

For trolling down to 1.7-2, you'd be better off with a 4S. EFI over carbs would be nice for cold water too. But I would be wary of the weight of a 4S 40 Hp. I think the Yamaha weighs in at 219 lbs?

I also would go 4 stroke and get tilt/trim if you can.

If you should find that you think the weight is a issue and go with the 2 stroke yamaha you wont be disapointed. I had a 2 stroke 25 horse and it was a great reliable fast motor that trolled all day long for many years with absolutely no issues. Man I wish I still had that motor!

I had a Yamaha 25 2 stroke on a 16' mod V john boat for years. Saw a lot of use and abuse. Always started on the third pull even first time of the year. First pull after initial start of the day. Great motor but 4 strokes are nice and quiet. That is nice too.

Just my opinion. But I would suggest getting an E-tec. Anyone who thinks another motor is better doesn't own one of these. Lighter, faster, better fuel economy, less things to go wrong, quieter. The best of both worlds.

I have a similar boat as to what the original poster was mentioning. 197? Lund 16' bench seat, etc. It is rated for a 40. We've had a 40 Merc 2S on it, then a 20 Evinrude 2S and now a brand new Suzuki 25 4S. By far the best motor that's been on the boat. It does 27 mph (aggressive prop) and handles a load of 3 people fairly well. If I had to change anything for weight/power/workhorse I would simply tone down the pitch of the prop.

It purs like a kitten at all RPM's. Sips on gas, no oil, stink, or sputtering.

I had a 50 hp Mercury 2 stoke on my 2001 lund explorer and up graded last year to a 04 lund pro sport with a 90 hp yamaha 4 stoke I love it, less noise,no smoke, don't worry about fouling plugs at lower speeds and no injection oil to mess with.

SwedishPimple,

I have own 2 canadian fishing camps and I have 30 2s motors (2-15hp) and 25 4s motors (25-50hp).

If you are looking for a duck boat motor mainly I would go with a 25hp 2 Stroke on your rig. I had a 25hp 2 stroke yamaha on my duck boat for years and it worked great, tons of low end torque to burn of the weeds when they got heavy on the prop.

About 6 years ago my duck boat was parked in the driveway at my house and somebody walked off with the motor, so I replaced it with a 30hp 4s yamaha thinking about the quiteness of the motor and the added fuel economy. Its a good motor just like all my other 4s, but it is a bit heavy on the boat (16' lund) and it doesn't have any low end torque to burn off the weeds when they get wrapped up on the prop. After a few years of fighting the weeds and getting very cold hands pulling weeds off, I switch the motor with an old mariner 25 2s that I had in the shed and its back to the good old days of just popping it reverse and reving it up to burn the weeds off (no more cold hands).

So long story short, if it is mainly for duck hunting go with the 2s. You will not burn enough gas just hunting to make up the difference in the price, plus it sounds like the weight might be and issue, but the main issue is getting the weeds off (IMO).

If it is for a bit of hunting and alot of fishing go with the 4s, again if mainly for hunting go 2s.

Good Luck

I have a 40 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Best running most trouble free motor I've ever owned. From what I've seen the 4 strokes are just as good but easier on fuel. Can't go wrong with either one.