• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sombody help me...

17FishMan

I think the laws of physics are against you here no matter what you try. With the 4 guys, the motor (300 lbs?), maybe 12 gallons of gas and 10 gallons of water in the live well, plus all the gear in the boat, I bet you are close to 1400 lbs all told. Thats a lot of weight. You best bet is to trim the motor in and send a guy or two up front to shift the load to get on plane, then adjust the trim for the best ride.

I think something is not right. I had a 2005 Fisherman 1750 with a 90 hp, and I was hauling 2 adults + 3 kids and towing a tube. No problem at all getting on the plane and/or moving around. I don't remember the prop pitch, unfortunately.

I am sure a good prop shop will help you out better that the dealer.

Are there any dings on the prop? Its amazing how much of a difference a couple of dings on the prop can make. Also make sure that all of the blades are in line. I have a buddy who bent his prop while backing it into his garage. (didn't stop when he should have) Not a mark on the prop but when you spun it slowly you could tell that one of the blades was off. It made a big difference in performance. Did I mention that his boat is a Lund Fisherman also, but its an 1850 with a 115 Merc.

Nels

Valv, is your motor a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? 2 strokes seem to have a little more out of the hole. I have a 90ph Force 2 stroke on a 17' Starcraft and have had up to 5 adults & one kid and pulling a kid on a tube with no problem?

Bottom line here, you need a different pitch prop.

Make another run with the load you expect to normally carry (gear, # of people, full tank of gas). Note your RPM's when you've gotten on plane and trimmed the motor up until it starts to porpoise, then bring the trim back down just until the porpoising goes away. Post that RPM reading here, or call a prop shop and give them your running specs and they should be able to get your squared away.

I would be tempted to start with your dealer, as the boat should have been setup to run correctly from the start. You may have a bit of an issue since you bought it last year and you're not reporting a problem until the following year, but it's were I'd start in the hopes that they'll trade props with you for free.

If you're looking for a Prop Shop, I'd check out Soderblooms who have provided numerous FM members good service and a quick turnaround, but there are other shops that do a good job as well.

marine_man

Make another run with the load you expect to normally carry (gear, # of people, full tank of gas).

marine_man

Good point. That boat is rated for up to 135hp and adding up the weights mentioned earlier, the boat was overloaded.

Ok, Thought I posted this last night, but didn't go through. So I checked the numbers again on the Coast Guard approved weight sticker. Reads as follows; 1045 lb or 6 persons. Below that in smaller print is the total motor, fuel, & cargo weight of 1700lbs.

So I don’t believe we had the boat overloaded.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions, especially the responses from Down-deep and HOFFER. Your experiences with similar setups and the same motor are exactly what I was looking for. They give me a head start in trying to figure out what prop to start with, so I don't have to go through multiple swaps to get the performance I am looking for.