• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunfish after dark?

fishermatt

We catch quite a few after dark. The water is very clear and we catch them in 12-15fow on the break, during the day. 17Fow is the deepest water around, so we move out a ways off the break when it gets dark. At night they would show up out in the deeper water around dark but not much before. Glow jigs definately help them see the bait.

I have good luck catching them after dark with glow jigs and waxies on many lakes. I normally fish 14-18 feet. I normally fish smaller lakes that have very few predator fish. In lakes where panfish are the dominant species and are closer to the tops of the food trains they seem to be more reluctant to bite after dark. I don't know why... but that always seems to be the case.

Had about a 6 week stint in my hard house were we caught gill after gill some nights until 1am, but mostly they shut off by 10pm or so. We were set up in 28 fow, got walleye's and crappies through out the night. There were some nights where each guy would get 20-30 gill until they shut down. The lake was ok as far as clarity is concerned.

for me the largest bluegills came after dark when the sun just went down and i was using a techni-glo rattl'n flyer in the smallest size tipped with colored euros and the water clarity is murky in about 5-7 FOW

good luck!