• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Considering I have 9 images I like, from my eagle shots, I thought it would be fun to make a collage and have printed 20 X 30. Here is what I came up with. However, I welcome any and all opinions. As shown, I have equal space around the edges. I don't know if it would have more impact if they were staggered. Anyway, any and all opinions are welcome.

3349498420_5216131a81_o.jpg

Compositionally one suggestion would be to put the top row in the middle. This will offset the bottom two rows all looking right. Your eye will now flow from left to right, right to left and left to right.

I haven't seen this done, so I don't really have too much for suggestion. Interesting concept. Dan's graphic does give them more dimension, they seem to fly right off the screen. I wonder about enlarging one dynamite image and placing it in one of the composition sweet spots depending on the pose to draw the eye in to the collage. Then arrange the other smaller images in some way on the rest of the page.

I like Dan's background. I think with that background, Birdsong has the right idea. With a design like this, providing a primary drawing point for the eye is a key, IMO. Put the most impressive image in the center (or off-center with more rooom in the direction it's facing) and run it large, with the others scattered around it at smaller sizes. And my eye would be more attracted to a somewhat random scattering.

I agree that compositionally, the composite would be stronger if the first line was in the middle. Looks like you came away with some great flight images of this most awesome species, congrats.

Although I love Dan's background, I'm afraid the picture would lose some of it's photographic credibility. Anyone who saw it might wonder what else isn't real in the picture. His compositional advice does make sense, the more I look at it. I laid the photos out the way they were probably photographed, which no one else would really understand. I'm also going to play around with Birdsong's and Steve's ideas, and see how they look.

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions.

I will say I don't agree with you on photographic credibility X. Any college once you put it together will have that issue. A college with an enhanced background in my mind is no less credible than a photo with nine images, it becomes a design either way. I do posters every week, with action shots I have taken and put them together in a graphic design. My customers indicate to me that the designs only enhance the photos. I don't and they sure don't feel the photos have lost their credibility, the photos are the center piece to the design itself. I believe it enhances the photo which is still the main element, especially when done at a large size.

These types of shots are not bound by any photo journalistic standard, it is a design that you have created. What you do to enhance the photos to make them a more visually interesting design is up to you and in the end those that may be purchasing. JMHO.

A collage with an enhanced background in my mind is no less credible than a photo with nine images, it becomes a design either way.

Yeah, I see your point. I may just put the whole idea on the back burners for awhile. Thanks.

The thing is these types of projects are never easy! I do a couple of posters almost every week, and rarely do I finish one and send it to print without noticing something I would change. You have the most important thing with any of these designs...a very good photograph to start with! I've seen many OK designs with poor photographs and well, its still a poor photograph no matter how you dress it up.

I like the idea Mike, but maybe too many eagles? Might need some breathing room? Remember to leave some border space around the edges as well for framing. I usually resize and then add a border and to bring it back to size. I still might consider some type of graphic to add more impact. Lots of ways to go...

What about individual pics inside one of the many mattes that support multiple photos? Just another thought off the top of my head. Or build your own 20x30 with individual shots?

This was just a quick arrangement. With this many eagles, I'd have to go to at least with a little larger canvas or reduce the size of the birds. I could also eliminate the first eagle, but I like the way he appears to be turning, before he heads the other way.

Your other ideas have merit, also.

Thanks, again.

Mike, I would go with an odd number if you are doing the pano. Typically, odd number arrangements are more pleasing to the eye, whether in a photo or in decorating.

I really like the idea of the collages. With some tweaking, they could be awesome wall art.

Mike, I would go with an odd number if you are doing the pano. Typically, odd number arrangements are more pleasing to the eye, whether in a photo or in decorating.

Thanks. It's nice to get another woman's opinion. So, which eagle would you eliminate?

I really like the idea of the collages. With some tweaking, they could be awesome wall art.

Dead on perfect advice! Odd numbers create more symmetry and visual impact.

Mike, I'm supposed to be cleaning, getting ready to throw a surprise birthday party for my middle daughter. She turns 17 on the 17th. cry

Anyway, without taking too much time...I would eliminate the image that is 2nd from the far right. I would make the image on the far left the center one, and have the two eagles on either side looking towards the center image, substituting out a couple or using the mirror feature. It brings the eye inward, instead of leading it off the page. Since the background is pretty light, I would change it as well. That would help the tail feathers and outline of the head to pop a little more.

My 2cents in 30 seconds or less. Back to dusting!

The pano is interesting, but instead of eliminating the first eagle turning into the pano, I would eliminate the last who is actually a little bit out of alignment to give the wing motion impression. I didn't catch on to what you were doing right away. It's true he is turning back in again, sort of, but this would give you the odd number. I checked this thread last night before shutting down my computer. Then my poor subconscious worked on arrangement all night long! I hate it when that happens. On the collage, I would choose either the top right or top left eagle to enlarge. I would place it at the intersection of the top line and right hand line of a rule of thirds grid, giving the eye a place to rest and focus. These two eagles seem to most mimic the actual corner of the page. I prefer the top right eagle because of the interest in wing formation, but the top left actually enhances the corner formation better. I would not crowd it into the corner however, I would keep it centered at the intersecting lines. Then, since you seem to be a man of order rather than randomness, I would try arranging the others (keeping in mind fishinchicks comments about leading the eye back in--even though she did have a little dust on the brain) in rows of 3-2-1 which would only be seven eagles, or 4-3-1 to retain all nine. The body of the enlarged eagle should make the shortening lines make sense, if my subconscious was working properly at all last night. For this purpose, the top right eagle enlarged might make more sense. In order to make them pop without using a digital background, you could do a charcoal, pastel, or watercolor looking wash here and there where needed--you guys know more about working on layers than I do.