• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting a new camera

I am looking for some advise on a new camera. I have a couple of simple point and shoot cameras but I want to step up and get a really good SLR style camera/lens....my budget is 500.00 to 1k. Any suggestions on brands/models? I have always had good luck with Cannon products in the past.

I have always enjoyed photography and plan on using this new camera to further my hobby...I enjoy shooting mostly wildlife and landscapes...

Thanks

Cliffy

Cliffy a good way to buy is get a used body and save your money for good glass. If you google potn it is a Canon site and has a for sale section that you could find a 30D for around $500.00 and would have less then 10000 shots and the camera is rated for 1000000 shots and then find some good glass. The 17-85 kit lens is a nice lens and is usually easy to find for a decent price.

The most consistent advice that experienced photographers give those less experienced is to test out different bodies and find one that best fits their hands, with controls that best fit their instincts.

Now, I'm a Canon shooter, not because Canon is best for all of mankind but because it's best for me. Each system has its own advantages and disadvantages, and proponents of individual systems will say theirs is best, ad infinitum.

In the end, whether that final decision bears the name Sony/Minolta, Olympus, Canon, Nikon or something different matters not at all, because it's the mind, eye, heart and soul that makes the art. The rest is just gear.

Thanks for all the info. I paged thru the past posts and found some good info.

I would appear that the lens is slightly more important than the body...in general terms.....and also if I understand it correctly, IS or image stabilization is a good thing unless you are going for a massive lens...or something like that. I have this weekend off, so I was going to hit a couple of local camera shops in the area and get some more info. Thanks again.

Cliffy, the quality of the lens is much more important than which body you buy. From entry level DSLR to the pro bodies, image quality with today's sensors is simply stunning.

What separates the entry level body from the pro is the speed of operation and a bunch of other bells and whistles.

In the end, unless you are shooting the most demanding of active sports in low-light conditions, the sharpness/contrast/saturation of the lens is the crucial decision, and it's the lenses that will cost the big bucks if you want to pursue that route.

But take heart. You can get great results within your budget by buying a new consumer (entry) level DSLR (or a used DSLR of pro-sumer quality that's one or two generations old) and a couple zoom lenses (one wide-angle zoom and one telephoto zoom to 300mm).

These will not be the best lenses, but they will be good, and the overall combo will let you know whether your interest bears spending more money down the line on more gear.

Thanks Steve for all the info:

This is a hobby that I really want to get involved in. I have always been the guy that has his point-n-shoot with him...always snapping pics when out walking in the woods or whatever. I am now ready to take the next big step and invest in some good equipment.

I am also the kind of guy that likes to buy good stuff...so I dont end up wanting to upgrade 6 months down the road...so I am willing to pony up the bucks now. My goal is to get a good set-up and take some classes at the local community ed or photography shop to advance my skills. I dont plan on trying to make this into a 2nd job or source of income...just for my own fun and enjoyment.

I have been doing some digging around and came across the Cannon EOS XSI rebel. It seems to have some pretty good reviews from other sites. Any thoughts on this camera as a good starter? Thanks again.

Cliffy

Cliffy, the XSi is a great entry level DSLR. So are Nikon, Sony/Minolta and Olympus bodies.

I confess I have a certain sympathy for Canon because I've been shooting it since 1979. I really recommend you head to a store that stocks several brands of bodies. Don't listen to the garbage spewed by the salesperson, because most often they are not pros and don't know what really matters.

Pick up an entry level Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus. See how they feel. See how the controls work. Whichever one feels best in your hands is the way to go, because it means less work down the road to figure everything out.

Community ed classes aren't bad, but most of them are geared toward the lowest end of the spectrum. A decent start, for sure. Once you've gotten into it a bit, you'll probably want some mentoring from someone more advanced, and that's what we're here for.

It's a very neat step you are taking. No matter which gear path you choose, most important is maintaining and cherishing the fun you have behind a camera, any camera.

Thanks again Steve...very good info. Like I said, I got time on my hands this weekend..I will do some looking around, handling all sorts of camera bodies...and I will probably have more questions for you and others next week. Thanks.

Cliffy

Hey Cliffy, I don't live but a 2 blocks south of were you work. If you want I would be more than happy to meet up with you some time and let you play with my canon to see if you like canon. I am also a member of the Fargo Moorhead Photography club. I am sure I could find you a nukem..err I mean Nikon to play with. smile My number is 329-6588. I don't recall if we ever met in person but I hang around the DL forum and know you from there. My house is the blue house on 11th street that is for sale.

Thanks Paul. That is a very kind offer and I will probably take you up on it. I dont think we have ever met in person but I do know you from your various postings on the DL forum...and I have been admiring your pics that you post.

I am currently working over nights...so I pretty much sleep all day. I am hoping to get out this weekend and take a look at some cameras. Do you have any store recommendations? I was thinking Best Buy but do you know of any photography specific business in the FM area?

I will be in touch with you...and thanks again for the offer.

Cliffy

I use an XSI for my hobby use and I do like it. It gets some very favorable reviews from the photo websites that post that type of info., Fred Miranda.you know the rest, for one. You can see all the techy data you can stand at a place like that for all brands of camera.

It is a bit smaller in size which is a plus at times but if you have larger size hands you may find it uncomfortable to use. I added a battery grip to mine to correct that situation. Do take Steve and Paul's advice and actually handle the different models before you choose.

When I signed up for FM I wanted to use cliffy as my user name, now I know who has it. Good Luck!

Cliff from STC

cliffy, do a search for an online retailer called Canoga. about 35% less than Bait and Swicth, er I mean worst buy, aka best buy. IF you stop by Fargo Pix, they have a limited selection of canon on hand. There really isn't any great place in Fargo/Moorhead to go to. Ritz never has anything in stock, and Best has only a XS, 50D and a 5D. XS is very entry level and 40D and 5D are more than 1000. THeir glass is extremely over inflated as well. If you go to MPLS you can deal with West or National camera exchange. West will usually match most reputalbe online compnay pricing. YOu can then play with actuall bodies and see what feels right in your hands. If I were to buy a new body it would be a canon 50D. Around 1200-1400 body only I think.

Cliffy,

You may not be interested, but I got my Canon 50D from a reputable Canon dealer on eeBay! I wasn't to sure about kick'n $1499 over the net, but after talking w/ the store owner (Ali)and confirming all was legit, I went for it & am very pleased w/ my purchase. Here's the info:

SHIPPING BY FEDEX + TRACKING NUMBER

CANON AUTHORIZED DEALER

You are bidding on a 100% BRAND NEW & NEVER USED Canon EOS 50D Digital Camera & EFS 18-200mm IS Lens kit With BG-E2N Battery Grip + Extras$$$$$$:

Canon EOS 50D Camera Body Kit: $1599.99 Retail

Extra Lith-Ion Battery: $79.99 Retail

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens: $799.99 Retail

72mm UV Filter: $39.99 Retail

Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip: $249.99 Retail

1GB CF Card + USB Card Reader + LCD Cleaning Kit: $69.99 Retail

Canon DSLR Camera Bag: $49.99 Retail

THIS CAMERA, GRIP AND LENS COME WITH CANON WARRANTY

The Camera kit contents are (ALL ITEMS ARE 100% BRAND NEW, IN THE BOX AND NEVER USED WITH CANON USA & CANADA WARRANTY: Canon EOS 50D Camera Body, Camera body Cap, Canon EFS 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens, front and rear lens caps, 72mm UV Filter, Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip, 1GB CF Card & USB Card Reader, Canon Wide-Strap, Canon BP-511A Battery Pack & Battery Cover, Canon Battery Charger, Extra Lith-Ion Battery, USB Interface Cable, Video Cable, Canon DSLR Camera Bag, LCD Cleaning Kit, Canon Software (CD-Rom), English Instruction Manuals, One Year Canon Camera, Grip & Lens Warranty for USA & Canada (you will receive an Official Bill of sale + Canon Warranty Cards for each item).

ONE YEAR CANON WARRANTY

Shipping is $20.00* for Canada & $35.00 for USA by Fedex Ground (Please add $40.00 for NWT, NL, Yukon, Alaska & Hawaii).

We accept Paypal [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

* -Extra shipping charges may apply for remote & rural areas in Canada.

-We do not ship to an unconfirmed Paypal address

-If we do not receive payments within 48 hours, we will cancel and relist the item

-We use Fedex ground for shipping to Canada & USA, sorry we do not ship overseas, (if you live in a remote or a rural areas in Canada, we will use Canada Post regular parcel service, customer should also purchase shipping insurance for their item).

The Dealer is Galaxy Camera

I also went to Best Buy & checked out what they had & wanted more for the 50D & 18-135mm kit than I got this whole package for.

Good Luck!

I love my new 50. Just gotta get a little better B4 I post some pics.But learning is half the fun.

Listen to Steve, He's got some good info & won't stear ya wrong. He helped me out a lot while I was look'n to buy.

Keep us posted!!

Update:

As I have posted before, I have been thinking of getting a new DSLR camera. Thanks for the suggestions and info from prior posts.

My desire for a new camera was put on hold while Fargo/Moorhead went into flood fighting mode this past few weeks. With working 12s and tossing sandbags in my off time..there was no time to think about a new camera. However, my lovely wife surprised me yesterday morning on my 40th b-day with a new Cannon XSI. It seems like a pretty good entry level SLR and I am looking forward to sharing some pics in the future postings. With the predicted 2nd crest forecasts for the FM area, it might be awhile before I can get time to use it.

Thanks again for all the info and help. Take care

Cliffy

Congrats on the camera, cliffy. That sensor is capable of stunning image quality.

God bless and Godspeed on the flood fight. In a few weeks it'll all be over. Well, except for the cleanup, and you can use front-end loaders to clean up sandbags that it took thousands of volunteers to lay by hand. smilesmile

God bless and Godspeed on the flood fight. In a few weeks it'll all be over. Well, except for the cleanup, and you can use front-end loaders to clean up sandbags that it took thousands of volunteers to lay by hand. smilesmile

Yeah, they are putting down a lot more clay this time around. Running a clay dike right down 8th St! That is the main north/south street in Mhd. I sure hope the NWS is wrong on these numbers. I will see if I can sneak my camera into my squad and get some pics this week. Thanks and take care.

Cliffy

Yeah, they are putting down a lot more clay this time around. Running a clay dike right down 8th St! That is the main north/south street in Mhd.

Wow, just two weeks ago, I was driving up 8th Street. If everything west of there is overtaken from the original dike, wow. I certainly hope they are wrong on the forecasts, you guys have dealt with enough up there over the last month.