• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need advice on hard starting Honda

Heidi

I have a 99 Honda Foreman 350. It won't start using the electic start. I have a good battery,

I push in the manual primer buttom, but it is not

starting. I can pull start it fine. What gives?

Thanks for the advice.

Like it will spin over with the electric start but wont start? Or it wont even spin over? If it spins over and wont start,it's probably something to do with the wiring. If it doesn't even spin over with the electric start I'd try a new battery and if that doesn't work I'd try a new solenoid.

"99 Honda Foreman 350" never seen one of those! Or did you mean Rancher 350, or Foreman 400/450?

Can you give me a step by step so we are clear?

You are pushing the black primer button on the carb a few times right?

(This should only be needed when its pretty cold or if it has been sitting a while)

I assume that you are choking it also?

Key is on, kill switch off, it cranks normally with the electric start but will not start? Correct so far?

Then, if you pull the starter rope it starts fine?

Does it do the same thing after it has been warmed up or does it do this only when cold starting?

Sorry for the confusion. Rancher 350. Bugger to start in winter.

Starts in summer, but I have to crank and crank on it. I am

pushing the black primer about 8 times, have it on full choke and

kill switch is off. Can't get it to start using the electric start, but a few pulls and I can get it going. Once it is warmed up, then I am good to go, but if it sits and it is cold out, I have tp pull start it. Other wheelers start right off and I am always the last to start. Cranks normally with plenty of battery juice. I appreciate the help

Ok, it sounds like it is a fuel issue for sure. Is this by chance a wheeler that does not get run on a regular basis? Possibly your primer circuit is plugged. If so, a carb cleaning may be in order. When you push the primer can you feel it get harder to push? Usually the first few times you push its easy, then it builds some resistance and you can tell its pumping. I wouldn't be afraid to push it more than 8 times if you are not feeling any resistance. I've never been able flood a Honda yet.

8 times probably to many! You only need to push it maybe 2-3 and then choke it. You probably need a carb adjustment.

If it won't start with the starter motor but fires right up with the rope start I don't think it's the carb. Sounds like your starter isn't turning the engine over fast enough. Weak battery, bad connection with cables or weak starter. My motorcycle wouldn't start last year but would turn over. I cranked on it for quite awhile with no luck. Hooked the charger to the battery, barely hit the starter switch and it fired right up.

I would lean towards the battery too. How old is the battery? Without running the machien for an extended period of time, the machine doesn't have enough time to fully recharge the battery or if it sits for long periods of time.

I have the same hard-starting Rancher, maybe 2 yrs. newer. I was told by a dealer, when you push the primer it needs to fill up again so wait a couple of seconds. Should only need to push it about twice. Also another Honda owner told me if it will sit for more than 2-3 days, shut the gas off or it will flood;this pertained to warm starting also. I think with the small battery the cranking draws too much and doesn't leave a strong enough spark. That's why they will pull-start? My .02 worth. Stan C.

Hi. My Yamaha has the same issues. It doesn't get used on a regular basis and can be hard to start after sitting for weeks. As soon as I hook the charger up it fires right off. I had several extra flasher chargers (1/2 amp) sitting around so I put some new ends on it and hard wired it right to the battery. Now when it sits I plug the charger in and whenever I want to start it the battery always has a full charge. This has been working great all winter no matter how cold its been.

sounds like the battery isnt putting enough out. put a jump pack on the cables and see what happens. if it starts your most likely going to need to replace your battery. if that doesnt fix it do what macgyver said.