• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog limits

jbell1981

Definitely talk to your council member and see where that leads you. Your options may be pretty limited at this point. However, if you can prove that you are taking care of the animals properly and remedying any issues (I.E. working on the fence) you might be able to work something out.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
How loud and often to your 3 dogs bark?

Almost never. They will bark if other animals are in the yard and occasionally when they are playing, but never excessivly.

Do you know if they bark during the day? I would be pretty angry if I worked nights and the neighbors dog barked all day and I could not sleep. Most of us would have not idea if they barked all day since we are not there.

The ordinance is the law and it sounds like you are in violation, should correct the violation. I know it seems minor to have an extra dog, but you would be surprised at how much time is wasted by city staff on dog complaints. some warranted, some not, but I would bet that the number 1 complaint call to city hall is for dog problems. They are hard to keep track of and try to mediate the problems between neighbors, there is a reason the ordinance was adopted in the first place. It would be hard to get a variance for this as it would set a precedent for others to follow and make the ordinance unenforceable if it was brought up in the future. Sometimes politics will get you unexpected results...even if it is not in line with the law (just meaning that local poiticians may be able to have staff lay-off on enforcement, but not likely if neighbors are complaining).

If you are a dog lover who wants to rescue dogs and have multiple dogs, it would be best to live outside city limits where neighbor complaints are less likely and the ordiances would probably allow more then 2 dogs. In the City you have to deal with the neighbor, good or bad.. Good luck w/your situation.

Originally Posted By: jbell1981
Originally Posted By: PierBridge
How loud and often to your 3 dogs bark?

Almost never. They will bark if other animals are in the yard and occasionally when they are playing, but never excessivly.

Do you know if they bark during the day? I would be pretty angry if I worked nights and the neighbors dog barked all day and I could not sleep. Most of us would have not idea if they barked all day since we are not there.

They are inside when no-one is home, which is rare. Almost always either my wife or my mother in-law is there during the day.

This is what you should do:

Apply at City Hall for a variance of the two dog ordinance. The City staff should have some paper work for you to fill out in order to apply for an ordinance waiver. This might cost you a couple dollars.

When you fill out the waiver you will be placed on the City Council Agenda or a sub-committee like Zoning and Planning. Part of the City staff's job is to inform your neighbors that you are asking for a waiver from the city ordinance. They will have the option to show up and speak against your application. (Hopefully they will not show-up).

A couple points... since you are a new resident you should say you were unaware of the city statue (this is not an excuse but fact). You should also take pictures of the new fence which is being installed. Give the City Council a TIME LINE of events to take place. Example: March 20, 2009 - application for variance; April 1, 2009 work will start again on the fence; - April 15, 2009 fence will be completed... Also, say that your dogs will not be "off leash" or unsupervised during this transition period. It might be a headache, but will help your case.

Take pictures to attach to your application. I would even take the cutest pictures of the dogs you can with a narrative on their history.

When you are able to speak in front of the City Council or a Commission - bring your children (if you have them)! Even have them speak to how much the dogs mean to them. Prior to the meeting you should email all the City Council members, commission members and Mayor. Tell them that you have applied for a variance and wanted to introduce yourself prior to the meeting. Also remember that any emails are public information and maybe included in the agenda package for the meeting-- so do not "bash" or talk bad about your neighbors or the ordinance.

Waivers are given all the time - it all depends on how you present your case and situation. In a nutshell be professional in your submission of the paperwork while using emotion and facts in your oral arguments.

I hate to say it, but you need to move.

If the city had a 2 dogs policy before you got the 3rd dog, they are in the right to make you loose a dog or pay the fines. If the policy was recently enacted you should be "grandfathered in" and get a varience.

I hate big brother, and like to cheat the man anytime I can, but the rules are the rules. crazy

When in doubt, punt. Time to look at living outside the city limits.

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum
Have your dogs caused problems? I only ask because you said your neighbors "have it in" for you. If so, you are probably SOL.

I don't know what the deal is with the neighbors. They were friendly and talked almost daily to me when we were finishing the basement, but after we moved in thier attitude totaly changed. One reason may be that I didn't call the cops on a neighborhood teen who crossed though my yard. The neighbors don't seem to like him, but I haven't had any problems with him, so I wasn't going to get my undies in a bunch because he crossed though my yard. Another reason might be that the day we moved in one of our dogs crapped on the property line (it was unclear who's yard it was on), but it didn't even hit the ground yet and he came out yelling at my wife who was inrout with the [PoorWordUsage] scooper.

We have had 2 incidents of Bailey crossing though one of thier yards chasing another dog out of our yard. Both times he saw and filed a police report, which we recieved warnings for. It was just crossing though thier yard (which I know is against city ordinance and apoligized for the first time), thier was no crapping or rooting up of gardens or anything, just foot prints in the snow.

Well... based on what you have written here and the experience I have with local politics. There have been complaints filed and Police documentation. THAT is not a GOOD thing !! You can be assured the City Council will review that and use it in their decision making process. If your neighbors have filed complaints, I strongly do not believe you will get the city to allow you to have 3 dogs. Sorry... this is exactly why the ordinance is in place..not saying I agree with it.. But.. it is what it is.

Absolutely it doesnt mean he shouldnt try.. Nothing bad ever comes from Trying !

Just tossing in based on what I have seen and experienced.. which my friends.. is a lot in a category such as this..

I honestly and deeply would hope I am wrong !

Just wanted to make sure it was mentioned so he can create a battle plan based on the council bringing those facts into the equation...

it is a one He//a sticky situation !

jbel1981,

I just saw your add for your pup in the free section.

I wish there was something that could be done to help you keep your buddy.

Best wishes to your family and hopefully you will find a good home for her or better yet figure something out to keep her in a big hurry.

"hooks"

I am sure this ordinance was formed from some past issue that involved 10, 20 or 30 dogs, not 3 smirk . That or someone in the past on the city council saw or had an experience like in the movie "A Christmas Story", where Bumpus's hounds from next store loved Ralphy’s dad a little too much:

bumpusdogs.jpg

Who knows the story with the neighbors? Maybe they had a bad experience with the previous owners, had some childhood dog trauma experience or never had a dog issue and are new to the situation. Never the less, life in the city can bite. In this case you are loosing a friend and family member.

I see you have started looking for a good home and I hope you find one for your pup. If you can not by the deadline, I would take further action as discussed previously in this thread. Like I said, this ordinance I would almost bet was passed because of a much greater number of dogs owned than 3. IMO, 3 in no different than 2, but 4 is a leap from only 2 grin as far as responsibly, devotion to each dog and commitment to the care (from me and IMO).

Good luck and I am sure this will work out well in the end! smile