• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Uncontrollable eating

MIKE IN lINO III

I have a springer and a lab.

When we have fires at the fire pit the springer will find and chew small twigs and bark ( off of wood ) nonstop. I am constantly correcting her but it doesn't seem to affect her. I usually put her in the house after about a half hour of correcting her. She has been doing it for a long time and I am tired of it. She has the lab doing it also, he gets corrected and will stop.

On a side note: She is constantly eating deer and rabbit turds. I can't take her in the back yard without her eating piles of turds. I've read some posts about this not being terribly harmful to the dog but it is annoying as all get out.

Is there anything I can do to stop this bad habit?

Mike

I pick up the smoked beef knuckles at Schmidts meat market in Nicollete for 1.99 They last quite awhile and are 1/4 the price of the ones sold at fleet farm or walmart, and my dog likes them better.

I'd think any butcher shop would be able to provide them

FWIW, I had a buddy who had a lab that chewed sticks. The dog stopped eating and was contantly coughing. After awhile the dog went to the vet and they discovered the dog had swallowed a small stick, about 2 or three inches long. The stick had become lodged sideways in the throat, causing a nasty infection, plus requiring surgery.

Again, just for what it is worth.