• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Target to Decoy?

Jmnhunter

just a little decoy advise. I tried a decoy last Saturday night with mixed results. In my opiniun I will never use one for deer hunting again. After reading several posts I felt the statis quo was to use the buck decoy. Granted it was positioned even with me about 5 yards away between myself and a corn field. I seen deer coming up the trail
and thought to myself this was going to be easy. When the first deer approached I was not to dissappointed when it halted at the sight of my decoy. (fawn) The second came and it too was alarmed and came to a quick halt. (fawn). when the doe came running in and crested the hill she also came to a screeching halt. Well all in all they left the same way as they came. These 3 deer where at my side for about 20 minutes and sadly where on the other side of tree for me. But none of them would walk up to decoy and take a sniff. If I would have resisted puting decoy up, they would have passed benieth me to offer a shot. was still fun but I am getting tired of coming up on the short end of the stick.
lol
Good luck to all!!

I was out doing some scouting last night on a big public hunting area and found a spot where I might try my decoy. My thinking is that its fairly open, if I set up my buck decoy it might pull a buck in from a distance. Decoys are a hassle, plus everytime I've used 'Bucky' I've never had a deer see it, so I don't know what their reaction will be. My thinking is that in a couple of weeks the bucks will become more aggressive and the decoy just might pull a buck in from a distance.

I'll let you know.

I've used my Delta Target a couple of times. The first time I used it as a buck. The fawns & yearling doe weren't alarmed by it, but the big herd matriarch doe just locked up as soon as she saw it & wouldn't come any closer. I felt she would have come through had it not been there.

I used it as a doe in a field once too, but the only deer we saw never saw it. I have an actual decoy now, & plan to use it in some open areas, so when I call they can see the deer that's doing the calling. In the woods I don't think you need it.

BlackJack,

I think it's a Delta. I got it for Christmas from my folks (detailed Christmas lists are the key) & haven't used it yet. It's the hollow kind that has a compartment in the body cavity to store the legs, orange carry strap, stakes, & antlers. It sure seems pretty nice & the finish looks a lot more realistic than the 3D targets, not that I'm so sure it would matter.

I'll probably try it out in another 10 days or so, unless someone posts that they're already having good luck with them. The thing is, I'm not really hunting bucks anymore, other than real monsters when my brother-in-law's hunting with me. He's willing to tag one, if I see an absolute pig, but he may shoot one first. He won't get out that much though.

I have used the exact decoy that bigbucks was talking about. I borrowed it from a friend. It is nice and light but a bit of a hassle to put together in the field and even a bigger hassle to get all the parts back into the body so they fit properly. However it is very realistic and the little bucks I rattled in came right up to it. It would have been a really easy shot. I used it during the pre-rut when the bucks were just beginning to get active. A friend who was hunting with me actually missed and nicked one of the little bucks earlier that afternoon and he still came in when I grunted at him. I later found blood by it and boy was that weird. I also had a nice 8 pointer strut right up to it but I was more interested in the 160 class 10 pointer behind me in the brush at the exact same time. Of course I passed on the 8 and the 10 never gave me a shot. As soon as the 8 saw the 10 he bolted and the 10 melted back into the woods. Frustrating but still very cool....