• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 ft Evergreen trees

Down2Earth

I was out walking around the yard yesterday. I noticed quite a few of the evergreen trees were turning yellow in the middle branches. Are these things dieing? The top and bottom branches are still dark green. Do they need some help and what should I do?

I planted a white pine in the fall of 07 and did the same thing that winter. It was about 80% brown come spring time but it fully recovered. It has some brown to it again this winter. If you gently pull on the needles and they don't come off your tree should be fine. After I went through this issue I have noticed many other pines around that do the same thing.

Yeah, you may be okay with that. Kind of depends on the winter, but a lot of my seedlings will do that some years. I'd say 90% of them have fully recovered and are on their way. If the top clears the browsing height of deer that is smile

An early warm up that's windy when combined with frozen ground is very hard on evergreens.

I noticed the same thing on my trees this past weekend. They are about 20 feet high. Nice spruces. I noticed the ends of the branches are brown. I have never seen that in years past. I hope they come around. It would be a shame to lose them.....

If you had spread fertilizer last fall and got some fertilizer pellets or dust on the evergreens and it stuck (maybe wet), this could be a cause. I am sure it is not the case, but road salt spray can cause this also from a nearby road.

That or like said above, I have some larger pines in my front yard that get brown area's during the winter on the south side of them, facing the road. The sun light and elements might play a role in this during winter or it is a slight salt spray from the trucks that go by. I live in a cul-de-sac though. This has happened for a couple years and it always goes away during the growing season of spring. Just makes you bummed when you first notice it grin