• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

small hunting dog

hunterjames

I have a field bred American Cocker. 26 lbs... good pheasant dog, better grouse dog, incredible in the house. Hard to get one though... lots of effort.

Field bred English Cockers are much easier to find... though you still want to research your breeder. They run a tad larger than an American... though still around that 30 lb mark.

I can write more if you want specifics.

Good LUck!

Ken

I was in the same boat as you when looking for a new dog. The family wanted another dog but my wife didn't want a big hunting dog. After a lot of research I found the English Cocker. This dog is the greatest, loves to hunt, well behaved, and is the perfect size for being in the house. He also loves to be in the boat with us while fishing, with his small size he doesn't get in the way. Anyway he is a machine in the field, with his size he cannot cover as much ground as the bigger dogs but that's fine as I like the fact that he works close to me. Do some research on the breed and if you have any questions just ask. As others have mentioned, look for the field bred English Cocker as the breed has the the lines that are bred for show.

I'm in your exact same situation and went with a Brittany. He's 8 months old and 23 pounds today. He'll probably max out around 30, but his parents ran a little small. Make sure you ask yourself this (as I did): Lets say he weighs 35. What are the odds someone shows up at my door with a scale?

This is the situation I was in when I got my first springer. She ran about 30 pounds when she was full grown. I haven't looked back since. I would not rule out a cocker though. They are good hunters as well as great house dogs as I am told from people that have them.

A field bred springer spaniel or a field bred english cocker spaniel would be my top choices for a smaller pheasant dog. I have worked extensively with springers and some with the field bred cockers. the cockers tend to be a bit smaller. The size of the springer really depends on his/her parents. [Note from Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again, Thank You]

May I suggest an American Water Spaniel.... not only because I breed them, but also because they fit just what you are looking for. Females tend to be smaller than males. You can find more information on this breed and my dogs on my web site.

[Note from Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank You]

Hope this helps, and you find the perfect puppy you are looking for.

Have you considered a mini beagle? My dad had one when i was growing up in ohio. I remember we hunted slowly,not good for a young man just starting his hunting life,but the little dog would allways produce.Nothing was off limits Pheants,Quail,Rabbits and squrrils. Just a thought