• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rob Building Class

I believe they are the only two stores in the metro anymore. And like Cpt Fireman said, there's a guy that offers it through a lot of community education programs. There is a ton of information on the web, too. Step-by-step, video, pictures, you name it. You can also find a couple books at some of the local libraries. I know Ramsey County has a couple books that I've looked at.

I built my 1st rod from a booklet I got from a friend, it can be done. If you learn fairly well from a book, do some browsing and reading and see if the stuff you read makes sense. Worst case scenario you wind up still having to take a class.

The nice thing about Thorne is the wide range of quality/price blanks you get to choose from. That and it's not really a class, it's just you and a very experianced coach working next to you on a customer rod. Work at your own pace, no "class" schedules to contend with.

The other option you have is to call Gary Wick. He is who I first learned from. He offers a class through the Hastings community education program, and I am sure he probably does other ones as well. I believe you can set up a time to do it at his house/shop as well. Lots of room to work as well.

Steve

I do believe That both Thorne and Midwest will offer both private classes and a larger class also. They both have numerous product offerings and can teach one to build a great rod. The one on one class is a great way to go as one will recieve special one on one education in the shop class.

They do have a wide variety of blanks from say a St. Croix Premier all the way up to G. Loomis GLX, or the ST. Croix Legend Elites. Not to mention the same with their fly rod selection also.

I just went up there with my oldest Son last night. He's building his first rod. He went with a St. Croix Avid 7' 6" two Piece. ML