• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Tongue Jack.

Deitz Dittrich

Hey, got an issue.. So, my trailer tongue jack decides that it wants to be stripped and doesnt want to lift the boat tongue anymore..

Its a Triton Trailer, and the jack looks to be welded to the trailer. Is there a way to just replace the part that rotates and lifts, not the mounting bracket that is welded to the trailer?

If yes, which I assume has be able to be done, how does one go about removing lazy one and get a new one?

What does the tongue jack look like? Does it rotate around a cylinder like in this picture?

tonguejackmm4.jpg

If so, it's a pretty easy swap - get a new tongue jack that has this style mount on it, take a snap ring pliers and pop the snap ring off the old one, replace the tongue jack and snap ring with the new one and you're set.

marine_man

I've noticed with a few different brands jacks,if they go down(bottom out)the gear loses contact with worm drive,I then pull the wheel part down while turning the crank to engage the gears again.To prevent it again I have installed (welded) a stop on the shaft to stop the bottom out.

Deitz,

If it looks what marine man shows, its easy. I replaced one on my Shoreland'r 2800 lb trailer last Spring when I sold my boat.

It's easy to do. I purchased mine from Nelson marine in White Bear. I'm sure Frankie's has them as well.

Deitz,

Sorry but I don't remember. All I remember is I had to take one back from boaters outlet, because they sold me the wrong one.

Take yours off and bring it with you when you go to Nelson Marine or Frankies. They should be able to tell you if there is anything special you need.

Once I got the correct one, it didn't take long at all to do.

I think I paid around $60.00. Maybe just a little more. All I know that it was alot nicer than the orig. one that came with the trailer.

It was easy to install, that's why I don't think it took anything special to do, otherwise I would have gone out and purchased it.

Snap ring pliers, my eye! Do it my way, half dozen different sized screw drivers that don't fit in the little holes, couple pair of pliers that are not able grab the edges of the ring and pull it off, 1000 different curse words, and then go buy the pliers before you nearly have a heart attack.