• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

She's gonna be a cold one tomorrow!

cherokee

Went this morning a buddy saw 9 in house by himself and me and buddy sat together seen 6 speared 2. One was the biggest I ever got 9 lbs. 11 oz. A REAL GOOD morning for me my friend was nice enough to let me throw at the big one because technically it was his turn

Did I do any good... well at least I have a fish story to tell. grin

I started up the truck this morning -19 on the temp gauge at the house. I loaded up and headed out. -22 at the lake. I cut the hole and watched the steam rise over it for a bit and knew it was darn cold out.

Got the rest of the stuff set up and was ready just as it was starting to get light outside. I waited until I it was light enough to start spearing and then dropped my decoys down and started spearing.

At -20 I didn't have high expectations.

I waited around for about an hour and then I saw a nice walleye swim past my decoy. Then a couple perch and some sunnies. About 9:40 I called my Dad on the cell phone. And I have to tell you the cell phone is the best decoy out there! wink A nice fish (aprox 6 lbs) came right between my legs and just sat and stared at the hill billy spinner. I have to say this was the most perfect decoying of a fish I have ever seen. It was straight as an arrow and right in the center of the hole and right in line with the line going down to the spoons. I thought this has to be the easiest shot ever. I put the cell phone down and lined the spear up perfect and let it drop. I watched the spear go straight down and the fish never moved. As I continued to look the spear was about 4 inches to the right of the fish.... NOT EVEN CLOSE..... as the spear went past the fishes gills he glanced to the side then nonchaluntly swam right out of the hole.....

Man I still don't know how I missed that thing. confusedcry

I haven't seen a fish in the last 5 times out and then I miss the most perfect shot ever. lol I am thinking I am just out of practice.

I saw 4 pike total today and along with that first one I saw today, I swear I saw the biggest pike I have ever seen in my life!! This thing came in from the front right of my spear hole and the head on this thing was ginormous!!! Its belly was sticking out from each side of its head. I could only see from the tip of the nose just past the front fins but this thing was BIG!!! And as quick as it slid into view it backed right out and I never saw it again. It was worth it though. I am going to dream about that big one for a while!!!

I went home with 0 fish but all in all it was one of the greatest days I have ever had spearing!!! Dang that thing was BIG!!!

Well I saw two and stuck one thaat was 25 inches and the other one was a bit bigger but would present a good shot. and yes I'll have to say that MAN IT WAS COLD.

Merk thats what I love about the HB spinner they come in and just stare at the spoon. All the pike that I have speared useing the HB spinner except one just slid in and stared at it and the one that didnt smacked it and dropped it then just sat underneath it until I stuck it.

I got my limit yesterday, 3 gators, 24 1/2" 3lbs, 26 1/2" 4.5lb, and 26" 5lb!! I think the fish were moving as I think any time its cold, where I was it was -20 below with windchill didnt see the first one til 11:22 then the next at 12:02, and finally the limit at 12:34, all came in to the 10" live decoy

On the lake

p_00092.jpg

On the slab...

100_0987.jpg

You guys did alot better than I did this morning. Seen 1 bullhead and that was it. Yesterday got set up around 2:30 and never saw anything until the last fifteen minutes when three fish decided to show up. One that I passed on about 2 lbs, a 3lb and the a 4 lber that I took and made fish sticks out of last night. Ummm mmmm good

See what tonight brings.

6-7 feet crystal clear water, right on a point, put my hole the long way from the point pointing towards the middle of the lake, worked like a charm, These guys all cruised on the bottom tho, Im sure for better oxygen, so word to the wise in cold water make sure ya got ur live decoy next to the bottom, they will see it alot better when their cruising. I dont care what anyone else says, fish can and will move in cold weather if they want too or their hungry! And hey we dont have to make them bite we just have to see them right!

Yesterday was the best day of the year for me. smile

Got a 25 + a 27. Saw another 6 or so. Kept the #3 slot open in case Mr. Big would make an appearance. I'm starting to like this really cold weather. It was cold outside, but luckily the heater kept the house nice and warm.