• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

atv or utv

coombia21

For hunting, I would opt for the ATV in the area I hunt. Reason being, a UTV is too large to get into the tighter areas. Easy access hunting areas, the UTV wins my vote for the availability of the box and the ability to use it on county roads to travel between areas. ATVs can't travel on the county roads.

Ice fishing, again the UTV has my vote. Box, extra seat, available cabs, nad on a personal note, I find them more appealing. But that's my age creeping up on me.

Trails, I will stick with the ATV. More trails, more fun for trails IMO, better gas mileage and easier to maneuver around.

hunting and fishing and ice fishing UTV gets my vote

i have an rhino and love it! you have room for 2 to go ice fishing with room for auger in back hunting deer in the box also

the make alot of aftermarket parts for utv nows like cabs,plows,tracks everything and anything!!!

Trails now i guess i havent been on any "trails" here in MN but i have been out to the Black hills for the UTV rally and some trails where narrow!! and the rhino was fine but the ranger is wider than a rhino but then with an utv you and a friend or wife can go trail riding and enjoy the outdoors!!

i would say just go to the dealer and test drive a few models and see what you like

A couple years ago, Class II ATVs were allowed to travel on State, County and Township roads. Last year that was changed to eliminate State highways, leaving only County and Township roads to be legal for Class II ATVs (UTV). Class I ATVs, in a limited circumstance, can travel on County roads and are legal on Township roads as long as the local governing body has not imposed a ban on ATV travel.

That's the latest that I'm aware of.

Not to get too far off topic but I saw people riding right down the main roads in Sioux Falls SD over the summer. My brother in law says it's legal. Do you know about this LEP? And also if I equip my wheeler with turn signals, would it not be street legal in town?

Thanks

I know in SD it is legal as long as you have turn signals. At least it was when I lived there for a few years. It was always interesting to be sitting at a stoplight when an ATV pulss up behind you! A surprising number of people drive them to work.

Here in South Dakota we need to have them registered as a motorcycle so they have a license plate. also require mirrors and a horn. I dont believe turn signals are required.

they recommend going to a street radial tire but its usually not enforced here. the knobby tires just tend to throw rocks etc

its getting to be pretty popular here, often times I will see even a RZR or rhino cruising down the streets here

chasineyes,

the laws are significantly different in SD. They, along with ND do allow for some on road travel. I couldn't tell you the laws without researching them for myself, but I do know it is permissible.

Years ago I was out in Lead/Deadwood SD sitting in a bakery indulging myself with a donut blush. I heard what I thought was a dirtbike and looke dout the window to see a kid younger than I (I was 15 at the time) going down the main drag on a Honda 250R 3-wheeler and no helmet. He wasn't any older than 12-13 years old. I cou;dn't imagine that's allowed anymore.

But to tie this back to the main topic, although UTVs/Class II machines are allowed on county roads, many towns have ordinances banning ATVs within city limits with Le Sueur being one of them. This includes both Class I and Class II. Some people don't seem to care though and some of the local authorities don't seem to mind as long as their not trying to wake the dead.

This can be a mess trying to iron out who really has jurisdiction on county roads that pass through city limits since some towns maintain these roads, not the counties. In this case, I would definitely opt to err on the side of caution here and know the ordinances for the town before assuming you can pass through on a county road.

A good friend of mine tipped me off on a bill that will allow ATVs, both Class I/II on County Roads in MN.

I have mixed feelings about this.

First off, it will most definitely increase the number of accidents in the ROW.

Secondly, if it does indeed pass, it would be much more cost effective for me to hop on the wheeler and head out to the lake.

Is it worth the risk? We'll wait and see.

The only public trails anywhere near my home are pretty much old railroad grades... not fun, or even interesting to ride on. I drive my Ranger mostly on private property on old logging trails and on the shoulder of the road to get from point A to point B. Which I believe is still legal. When I got the UTV I found that at our hunting property the UTV fit on all of the trails the ATV's rode on except for one. Not enough of a size issue for me to steer anyone away from buying a UTV if that is what they want.