• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My favorite owl.

JayinMN

I'm in a race for time here, I need to head to work real quick so only uploaded these two. They are for you XT...lol I had some great one on one time with Ole Mr Great Gray this evening. It showed off its hunting skills and caught some type of rodent buried in the snow about 10 feet from me. Two gulps and it was gone. I met mnfishingal at the Admiral feeder earlier in the evening.

ggr.jpg

ggr2.jpg

This is the hoary redpoll on Admiral Rd.

hoary.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Birdsong,

Last night was a pretty neat. Most of the time when you see one they are perched listening for the mice beneath the snow and the only moving they is flying from one perch to another every few minutes. This is the second time I have actually seen one pursue its prey. When they hear a rodent under the snow, they launch off of their perch and glide to the spot, then they either glide in a circle or hoover over the spot they heard the mouse. They pin point the location and plunge into the snow and grab it with their feet. The mouse can be up to 2 feet below the surface of the snow. Here is a picture of the it just before it plunged into the snow marking the location. It took three attempts before it was successful.

hunt.jpg