• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red belly in snow

MARINERMAGNUM

Found an Eagle today,but it was too far off and backlit.

I was driving along today when I saw what looked like a Blue Jay flying erratically,when it came closer I saw that it was a Shrike chasing a Junco about 100 feet up in mid air like a heat seeking missile! Circles,spins,zig zags,loop de loops, the Shrike was always within a few inches,but couldn't catch him. I was so mesmerized watching,I didn't even think to grab the camera-there wasn't any time anyway. I have seen them swoop at birds before,but never chase them like this,as they were going slow,but doing all the close quarters manuevers. It was amazing to see.

This Red Belly was the only thing I got halfway close to.

3207605319_d7016812df_o.jpg

3207605409_244cfc9141.jpg

3208453224_f0fb5de412_o.jpg

3207605205_cec8904ec0_o.jpg

Finn,I think the reason it looks different is that there really wasn't any light at all. He was kinda side/backlit and with Eval. metering he just looked like a black silhouette,so I switched to spot and this is what the camera produced. I was suprised it gathered as much light as it did. Someday the sun will shine!

Thanks.

Cute little girl. I managed to take a couple shots of a male at winter camp last week, and once again, his eyes were closed when I downloaded it. Aaargh. I seem to have this effect on birds. Nice job--it was interesting to hear how you handled the lighting conditions.

Just beautiful, MM. Their beauty and that distinctive call make red-bellies my favorite winter woodpeckers. Brings a smile every time I see or hear one. That one looks like a clone of the female here that picks off single kernels from the ear corn feeder then flies off to devour them.