• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wake Up, Little Saw-whet, Wake up

Birdsong

3207076546_c5c27f7a74_o.jpg

I have been gone this last week, attending a Winter Creative Life Lab. It was winter! But I took my inspiration from all of you northerners and got out into the woods on snow shoes at least once every day. However, your inspiration didn't seem to be contageous. I had to go alone. Well not quite alone, I met this little guy in the woods.

Who-o-o-o-o Says I Was Sleeping??

3206231067_733fc8a9e0_o.jpg

I'm anxious to catch up on all of your posts. But first--the snow shoes are calling.

Cool to see this little one roosting so out in the open. smile

Especially at -25 degrees. I didn't know they usually were in burrows until I read an earlier thread here. My glasses were steamed up, my zoom lens was in my backpack with a huge goofy stuffed bear on top of it. (Bear hunt--you don't really want to know.) I had Wintergreen mittens on--really warm but essentially no opposable thumbs. Funny how you forget the cold--mittens went flying, glasses came off, backpack and bear went flying. Jayinmn mentioned luck--you have no idea. He was actually roosting below me when I was on the trail. Once I moved off the trail a little we were closer to being eye to eye and I would say 10 to 15 feet apart (not very good at estimating that). I didn't want to get any closer. On a vertical shot he almost filled the frame side to side at 300mm anyway. I got to learn a bit more about monopods this week. If I put it down on the snow, I couldn't get enough length to not have to stoop way over or get on my knees smile to take the picture. Took me all week to figure out I could set it on top of my snowshoe. I also bought the manfrotto ball head some of you recommended on a thread long ago (love that 'search' function!) It is much beefier and more functional than the one I had. But you do NOT want to accidently touch your lip to the quick release bar when taking your picture if you treasure having skin on your lips. I stood there picturing my tongue stuck to the monopod like the kid on the playground in that Christmas movie.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Oops! I guess I should have said cavities. This is what I read:

"I have found quite a few Saw-Whets in cavities during the day. They are similar in size and I was curious if Boreals did the same. One of these days I need to build some nest boxes for my property. I put one up at my cabin and it often has Saw Whet owls roosting in it."

I think the date was 1/1/09