• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Flotation options.

PierBridge

So we're heading to Wisconsin "dane county" and by Law you need to have your ATV or Snowmobile rigged with a flotation device in order to go on the lakes.

Is this something a person has to buy or can we make our own?

Yes I said it's a Wisconsin Law and not Minnesota!... grin

Thanks Pier!

From reading some of the WI. forums it sounds like you need actual flotation devices attached to the ATV. There have been some floats advertised for sale and some discussion as to how the must be attached to be approved by the DNR. Don't think I would plan on riding my machine over there $$$.

There is a floation device that can be straped to an atv if it goes in you pull the rip cord. Its called nebulus, its made in lakeville mn. I wonder if that would work.

According to their HSOforum... "Air filled containers are not acceptable"

"Lakes Mendota – Monona – Wingra

Vehicles weighing over 850 lbs. require special use permit. Vehicles weighing under 850 lbs. require flotation and a permit.

All other Dane County Lakes

Vehicles weighing over 850 lbs. require special use permit. Vehicles weighing between 750 – 850 lbs. require flotation and a permit. Vehicles weighing under 750 lbs. have no restrictions."

This could be read more than one way, depending on if they are including the operator in their vehicle weight or not. It does not specify, so a call to the sherriff's office may save some confusion. (and money, time and effort)