• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled Question?

CB34

I am currently in the market for a sled. My price range is under $1,200. Having owned Arctic Cats before I am fairly partial to the 98-99 Z440 fan or the ZL 500 w/ carbs. I have seen some of these in that price range. The reason I like these sleds are for their overall performance and simplicity. I want a sled that I can put the wife on with little instruction on how to get it going and use it. My question is what models from other manufactures would be good options for me to also consider? I have no experience with a brand other than Arctic Cat. I will probably put on less than 300 miles a year doing some trail riding, ditch riding and pulling the fish house around the lake. I am not really interested in anything larger than a 500cc. I look forward to your insight.

I just got 2002 polaris xc500 and 2002 yammie venture 2up 600. My wife likes both, the lightness of the 500 but the solid feel of the 2up, and the ease of use of the 2up, with reverse and electric start. She likes the 600 2up and calls that one "hers" smile

I will ditto the earlier comment on the indy 500 polaris, but would also say the same about the indy 440. Both sled came with a very nice suspension for the year and were a blast to drive. My bro-in-law just picked up a 92 440 a few weeks ago and he already has 300 miles on it and just loves it. He previously owned (a number of years ago) A cat sno pro? 440, a indy 600 and indy 500. He bought his current 440 because the price was right and he wanted something to putt around the yard with his young kids, but he's loved hitting the trails with it as well.

I don't have the heart to be the 4th in a row to recommend Polaris after you mention being partial Cat (although I do agree with the previous responses), so I will keep it more general. Either the 440 or 500 class should be adequate to pull a portable house. Traction will probably be a bigger concern. For a sled from the era that you will be choosing, make sure the track isn't worn down too far. Long track or 2-up machines will will get more traction, but aren't necessary. I have a standard length (121"), but with 1.25" deep lugs, and it works good for me.

We have an indy 500, indy 440, and a very beat xcr 440, The indy 500 is my fav. It always starts handles great and has sufficiant power for me, although when I ride with my friends with 800's and 900's there is no comparison in power, but also they spend 7, 8 thousand on a sled compaired to around 1 thousand for my oldies. Not to ram on arctic cat but the only sled I bought brand new was a 94 zr580 and it was one headache after another (I thinck I got a lemon) good luck.

IMO the liberty motor that polaris has been building since 97 is the best motor out there "BULLETPROOF" and the xtra 10-12 format will fit the bill great I would opt for a 500-600 xcsp maybe even think about that era of sks, or rmk's with longer tracks. hey bay is the staple of prices so check thier first! good luck with finding the polaris that fits your bill perfectly....

I have seen more of the good ol fuji 488cc engines in the indy 500's that have never been touched with 8,9,10k or more than any other sled hands down. Its right up there with the old yami phazer engines as far as bulletproof but with more power grin

Well, I guess the Polaris guys have spoken.

Back to the original post, your pocketbook will be the biggest factor here. If you want to do more than just fish, and trust me you will, You need to investigate when the major suspension upgrades took place with each brand. I had a couple of Polaris sleds in the '90s and their Xtra 10 suspension was pretty good. The Xtra 12 rode like a Lazyboy but it put the center of gravity a little high. After Polaris I have had Arctic Cat sleds. AC went to the "ETT" suspension in '97 and it was a big improvement. In '99 the ZL sleds went to a 43" front ski stance which made them incredible trail machines. I owned a 98 ZL 500 and a 2000 ZL 600. The 500 was my favorite of all that I owned. My expertise ends here. I have not owned either a Ski-Doo or Yamaha machine.

Keep in mind that machines from the years discussed are getting to be 10+ years old and there are many maintenance issues that you will have to watch for. My recommendation is to check with Craig and watch for something with the above suspensions in your price range, and look it over carefully before you buy.

I have ran a one of the smaller cat 2 ups and they are bulletproof also. Dragged plenty of Polaris machines back to the shop with it.

( I have a RMK also, so dont get all bent out of shape)

I think they have a 370 fan cooled one. that would be perfect for the wife.

EFI would add that much more. Keep your eyes peeled as the season ends. I picked up one from a rental shop a few years ago real cheap.