• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy Setup

pdk511

Hi, I am just getting started with spearing. I have an auger and a chisel so I can get the hole done fine, its just the decoy setup that im not sure about. So I was wondering how you attach the live one to the rope and how deep you should set it. If anyone knows any good spearing websites that would be great because I cannot find anything on how to set up the decoys. Thanks a lot!

Look back through some of the other posts to see some ideas. I like to split the water in half and see what works best some lakes there on the bottom and some under the ice. They will come up to a decoy easier then go down to one cause they cant see down too well. Find a chub harness or a pin clip and tie it to some line on a swivel.

i tie a line directly to the fake decoy about 24 inches long and tie sucker pin or harness to that, sucker moves decoy around.I run the sucker about two feet above the weeds.Iuse 30 lb mono for line and its all on a reel with the drag set loose so if one grabs it they can run sometimes u can pull them back for a shoy sometimes they drop it but ive never lost a decoy.

there are a lot of ways to rig up decoys. I like to run 2 seperate decoy lines 1 for the live decoyu and one for the fake.

I use 50 lb tuff line super braid to a big snap swivel then to the decoy pin or harness

for the fake decoy I use the same line to a large snap no swivel and to fake decoy

I run 2 lines for ease of changing out fake decoys. I have stacked decoys also and had great success.

i also run two separate lines. One with the fake dec, which is just tied on to the house and the other is on a rattle reel that can be tightened down with a wing nut on one end. I run my live dec on the rattle reel so if they want to run with it, i can let them a bit of line.

there is so many different ways that you can run your decoys. Myself, i have everything tied on one line. I have my fake decoy on top and my live decoy below that. The reason that i do this is becuase i have great movement for my fake decoy when the live decoy swims in the water.

Alot of people will run two different lines. There isnt a right or a wrong way to do it. Whatever you feel more comfortable with.

alright, i think I have a good idea. went out today and saw like 8 pikes and a super big bass lol. I strung two seperate lines today. My decoy just has a hook on the top so how would I go about attaching a live decoy under that? thanks for all the replys!

Tie a loop around the body of your fake decoy with the line going thru the eyelet on your fake decoy. On the other end of the line, tie on your decoy pin or harness about 16" away.

Think of a dog leash with the loop of the leash around your fake decoy and the clip/dog end for your live decoy harness. The live decoy moves the fake one for you. Hope that helps.

Give credit to B+S for this set-up.

Nice video. Looked like a fun day.

alright lol, I may go to that then. What Im using right now works, but its not very easy to set up and I think the fish are getting spooked because I see them but they dont always come into range. I also noticed that if you twitch a fake decoy they will charge in and attack but if you dont touch it they will come in very slowly and watch it for a while.