• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New lakes to be stocked.................

MUSKY18

Is there anymore information that has come out as to what new lakes the DNR is looking at for the new stocking? Haven't heard much about it since the proposal was passed. Anyone have some insight they would like to share with the populous?

Hiya

Right now the Dept has tasked its regional managers with looking at candidate lakes in their regions. That isn't a simple process by any means. I know that some regions are farther along in this process than others, having started in advance of the long range plan.

What I suspect we'll see is a phased approach to selecting lakes starting with the regions who have projects farther along in the process.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

John, myself and a couple others had a teleconference about this last Tuesday. Right now we're working with the area managers to get some candidate lakes that fit the criteria in the LRP. Realistically the soonest we're going to stock a new lake would be fall 2010. The southern part of the state and the St.Cloud area will probably be the first 2 areas to see new waters.

Technically there's no plans yet. The DNR is just going through some lakes to see if any qualify per the new LRP requirements. If anyone has any specific questions about lakes in their area I would advise that you talk to your area fisheries manager. They're the ones with the most up to date info about which lakes may be candidates.

What about supplementing lakes that are already designated musky lakes. I know there are like 8 lakes on the mantrap chain that are designated musky lakes that are not stocked and do not contain fishable populations. I'm not sure if there are any other lakes that fit this category throughout the rest of the state. I can understand the need for more lakes in the metro and st. cloud area to reduce travel times for many people. I've been spoiled with having many quality waters in my back yard. I just thought that if they did decide to stock some of the designated lakes Big Sand could be one with trophy potential.