• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1999 Yamaha Kodiak stator suggestions??

Mark Christianson

My ATV went belly up a couple weeks ago. I brought it to a guy I know locally that does cycle/snowmobile repair.

He called this morning with the news.

He said the stator is the problem, and a new one is $550 from Yamaha. Add on another $250 for labor, and its a spendy fix.

I looked online and found 2 places that have new stators listed, and they are far cheaper.

RMStator and Ricky Stator.

They have new stators according to their websites that are $150 to $225.

I called Dave and mentioned I found these and he said its my choice to give them a try.

What are some thoughts going with the online resource versus using the Yamaha supplied stator/parts?

PS - he said the pickup coil is what looks to be bad on the stator. Is there a chance that portion of the stator can be repaired to save some costs? I did find one site that seemed to have that piece seperater listed, but not for the year of my machine. So it seems that would be possibly available for a fix??? No?

In my experience aftermarket or parts that are not OEM have been just as good as OEM parts. I'm talking from ball joints to gaskets to headlights.

You can go with the cheaper stators, and with labor will have less into it than a OEM Yamaha stator. If money is a concern, there's your answer. The machine is 10 years old too.

You could also try calling a few Yamaha dealers and get a price on stators to see if it matches your price quote.

Not sure on the pickup coil repair. I would go with a new stator since there is 4-5 hours labor or better to replace. It you get the pickup coil repaired, and it goes bad, you're back tearing it down to replace the stator.

Called a couple places and $500+ is the going rate for Yamaha stators.

I hear ya on the age of the machine. I sure dont want to sink a lot into it. Thats for dang sure.

I was told a rebuild would cost $150 to $200 as well.

Any thoughts on a rebuild of an OEM part, compared to a new aftermarket part?

Go with the after market or try the online auction site that i cant name on here for a used one. I have replaced them on a Honda and Kawasaki and those where attached to the clutch cover which is easy to take off. It should only be an hr of work if yours was like them. Get a repair manual for it.

Sorry it isnt attached to the clutch cover but the crankcase cover on the other side of the atv where the pull start is. I just replaced a gasket on my clutch cover and had it on my mind. So you will actually have to take the recoil off then the recoil dog then the cover off. There is a stator on that auction site with the cover right now for $20 plus $15 for shipping. Now thats a cheap fix! Youll want new gaskets for it too.

I have a 2000 Yamaha big bear which is very similar to your Kodiak. As stated by the other guys, many aftermarket parts are as good or better than OEM. Everything Yamaha is expensive.

I would not just replace the pick up coil. I'd do the whole shootin match just so wouldn't have to tear it back down again at another time, but that's just me.

Ricky Stator has been around for a long time and have a lot of experience in this field.

MY DS 650 had the pick up coil go out and it cost me approx. $300 in parts and labor. That's all they replaced and it ran fine after the fact. But Boilerguy has a good point about replacing the whole works.

Ricky Stator has been around for a long time and have a lot of experience in this field.

MY DS 650 had the pick up coil go out and it cost me approx. $300 in parts and labor. That's all they replaced and it ran fine after the fact. But Boilerguy has a good point about replacing the whole works.

Hey I used to have a DS650!

Yeah I would buy and aftermarket stator, and try doing the work yourself buy a manual for your machine and just go step by step I'm sure you would do it fine. I always fix stuff myself its a lot cheaper!

The repair guy said that its possible the stator could have damaged the CDI when it failed as well.

I am going with RMstator for the stator itself. But whats this about the CDI could have been impacted too? Does that sound likely or possible?

How far into this mess could this thing take me??

Curiousity has me. I am thinking to myself if he is sure the stator is actually bad. Or is he setting the stage for when he reapairs the stator, not knowing for sure if its that or the CDI??

Quote:
I brought it to a guy I know locally that does cycle/snowmobile repair

Quote:
The repair guy said that its possible the stator could have damaged the CDI when it failed as well.

Quote:
Or is he setting the stage for when he reapairs the stator, not knowing for sure if its that or the CDI??

I'd get a second opinion/repair estimate from an authorized Yamaha repair/dealer myself. smile

Yeah that doesnt sound right. Im assuming the thing wont start because of no spark? Try a new plug before buying anything else. Clean and use dielectric grease on all the electrical conections mainly the ones to the cdi box, ignition coil, and stator.