• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Set up ?

MCI

How deep of water do most set up in?

How far off the bottom do you set the decoy?

What kind of structure do you set up on? points,drop offs,sand, weeds.

is morning or evening better fish action?

It will really depend on how clear the water is to where you set up. You want to make sure you are able to see the bottom to be able to make out all the fish that come in. This past weekend we where set up in any where from 12 to 8 feet of water. I have never gone deeper then 13 feet. You need to make sure you have enough rope on your spear to touch the bottom.

You always want to make sure your decoy is visible to the fish, if there are weeds and stuff like that you need to make sure the decoy isn't down in the middle of all the weeds. I like to have it a foot off the bottom, just keep moving it up and down until some fish start to come in. A underwater Camera can really help you here, it will show you whats all around your hole to make sure you are running your decoy at the right hight.

Weeds are always good to be around, if you can get on a nice weedline where the the fish run that is a prime spot. Be careful around rocks, they will bend your spear really easy.

I don't think it really matters morning or night, I think it depends more on the weather smile

Hope this helps,

CB

How deep of water do most set up in?

How far off the bottom do you set the decoy?

What kind of structure do you set up on? points,drop offs,sand, weeds.

is morning or evening better fish action?

Alot of it has to do with how clear the water is on a lake. I like to see bottom when i spear becuase i want to know that if i throw it at a fish, the spear is going to hit the bottom to help stick the fish!

I usally run my decoy from 1 foot to 3 fee off the bottom. I move it around a bit durning the day to find out what thows fish are looking for.

As far as where to set up, i love to get out on the inside turn of weeds. I feel that pike like to hang out more where there is alot more structor then just rocks becuase i feel they find more prey that way!

I have always said that 11-2 is the best time to get out there and see fish. There out roaming around finding prey to feed on, and if your running a live decoy, you will see fish!

I am about the same as bass...usually spear in about8-10 foot of water. Usually like standing weeds or some lakes plain sandy bottom isgood too. Set the decoy just about a foot on top of the weeds or about 3feet off the bottom. If you can stand the temptation of not touching (spining) the decoy try it. I have had way better success without touch it all day instead of every five minutes.

The fish can still tell when different fronts are moving in and out no matter if its open water or hard water. Different fronts affect fish differently depending on what the front is doing, As in going from warm to cold, Bring in snow whatever it just depends on the body of water and stuff like that

Thanks for the ideas. was out yesterday for 3 hrs. 10ft of water that I could see the smallest of perch swiming threw. had 3 really nice bass come in and 2 small schools of sunny.

1 pike about 5 or 6lbs came in nice and slow, stopped about 4" from decoy and ol steady eddy totaly missed when I dropped the spear. Man what a rush. Hopefully next time out I will be a little more calm for the next one.