• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

courthouse lake

Will

I haven't heard anything. I did make it down there a couple times this last summer. Didn't catch anything but had some hits, lost a couple and saw some surfacing, so there is still some in the lake. I'll give it a try this winter again. Hopefully it's better than last year.

I am hoping that with all of this snow we don't have an early die off or kill like last winter.

They were going to put an areator in. Not sure why it was not done. Money or time, I suppose.

About 5 or 6 years ago, on opener, all of the fish were laying on the bottom dead.

tweed

Its a deep lake i dont get how it has oxygen problems. You normally see aerators in lakes <20 feet deep and this lake is like 55. Its not like it even has a lot of shallow water it drops off really fast. Anybody know why this lake is different?

Sorry just got your message now. I saw in the outdoor news it said to hit the sand bars and points in the carver area for walleyes. I thought that was interesting i couldn't tell if they meant open water or hard water. If you have a report and dont wanna post it on here you can email me at sriesgraf@yahoo dot com

In regards to the earlier postings, I know several people that work at the courthouse that weren't even aware of an oxygen problem in the lake. Nonetheless, I am having them look into it. As for the stocking of the lake, the DNR posts that information in the fishery offices area. Here are the West Metro area stocking reports, pretty much standard for these 3 lakes.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/westmetro/index.html

Man I was out there last year the morning after opener. It was a complete zoo and we got there within 30 minutes of legal fishing. There must have been 40-50 portables on the tiny lake. Holes everywhere. Someone told us the morning before the lake had at least 100 portables. That pure and simply insanity.

Thats the only time I will ever go near Courthouse Zoo. The fishing can't be worth dealing with the masses.

I was going to go to Courthouse Lake for the annual opener ritual. I turns out that I actually work on Thursdays. I guess I didn't catch that the DNR changed the Winter Trout season in 2009. Instead of opener being on a Saturday, it is Thursday January 15th this year for all lakes. Oh well, I may go out a day or two after, >>>.5

From the DNR HSOforum:

----------------------------------------------------------------

The 2009 winter season for lake and stream trout in all Minnesota lakes will open Jan. 15, and close March 31, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

In past years, winter trout season dates were different for Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) lakes, trout lakes outside the BWCAW and those on the Canadian border. Legislation enacted after the 2008 Fishing Regulations booklet was printed changed the winter trout season dates for all lakes, making the information printed on pages 14, 15 and 45 incorrect.

Bassboy, good luck to you. I was excited to get down there on a Thursday opener, but I'm not braving this weather!!! I'll be there saturday with the crowds and maybe tomorrow, we'll see. Post a report. I'm curious on the crowd and fish situation.

I went out there this morning from about 9-11. I'd say there were about 30-40 houses out there; way more than I thought there would be. The ice was only about 7-9" thick which is surprising. The bite was OK; caught a few but didn't fill out my limit & lost 4 at the hole which is extremely frustrating. They were biting short for me. Had to come home to do my honey dos.

I drilled 3 holes right off the bat and then my auger wouldn't start. I saw a hand auger laying beside a house and I walked over and nicely asked the occupant if I could drill a few holes with his auger. The dude wouldn't even dignify my request with a response. So either he was deaf or a jerk I don't know. I did get interviewed by a fellow from the Chaska newspaper; he took some pictures and video clips. So maybe I'm famous now. It was really cold out there.

Carp - That was my auger (by a little black portable right?) I was at work!! I left my portable out there all afternoon!! Sorry for the confusion -

Anyway, I got one nice fat 13" in the morning & one nice fat 13" in the afternoon & 4 others that were skinny 9 inchers. Ate the 13s for dinner, released the 9's. The nice ones had 6-8 mud minnows & a few bugs in their guts each. Caught by aggressively jigging a small jigging spoon & spikes 3 to 5 feet down in 10 FOW. Scary to see all of the pumpkinseed sunfish that are in there now - I'll bet I caught 25 and they were all sizes - A lot were 3" but I also got 4 that were sows 8-9 inchers.

Carp - That was my auger (by a little black portable right?) I was at work!! I left my portable out there all afternoon!! Sorry for the confusion -

Anyway, I got one nice fat 13" in the morning & one nice fat 13" in the afternoon & 4 others that were skinny 9 inchers. Ate the 13s for dinner, released the 9's. The nice ones had 6-8 mud minnows & a few bugs in their guts each. Caught by aggressively jigging a small jigging spoon & spikes 3 to 5 feet down in 10 FOW. Scary to see all of the pumpkinseed sunfish that are in there now - I'll bet I caught 25 and they were all sizes - A lot were 3" but I also got 4 that were sows 8-9 inchers.

Wow no worries. I didn't think anyone would leave their auger on the ice unattended. But for each his own. Yeah I hear you on the sunnies. 8 to 9 inchers are pretty nice though.