• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Disposal of One Pound Propane Tanks

wayne123

I have been using the refill adapter that I bought at Fleet Farm and have had very good luck. You are not able to get them all the way full but when you have 8 of em that is not a problem. Just make sure that you cool the tanks first, you are able to get more in than if they are at room temp.

I also have used the refill adapter for about 2 years now. Goetler is spot on with his advise. I had a bunch of the 1 pounders laying around. I only re-fill them about 4 times then chuck them. I put the 1 pounders outside and let them get good and cold and I bring the 20lb tank inside to warm up. This seems to get the best results for filling. It also says to turn the 20lb tank upside down when filling the 1 pounders. By cooling the small tanks and warming the big one I think I get the 1 pounders about 3/4 full with this meathod. The only problem with refilling them is the little rubber seal will ware out after about 4 or 5 times of refilling and then they will leak. Hence the no transporting rule I'm sure. I used to have a big buddy heater and I would just leave them hooked up if the seals became a problem and when they were empty, like I said I would throw them away. Like with everything else I'm sure there is a little danger with fooling with refilling the tanks so a little common sence would go a long way if you decide to give it a try. Hope this helps a little.

I saw firsthand what happens when an empty is tossed in a fire. Me and a friend were burning garbage for his dad and he told us to burn all of the bags that were in the garage. We did as we were told. We tossed in the last bag and watched for a minute until we saw that 1 pound cylinder then we ran likie heck. Then we heard a hiss then a KABOOOM! Biggest fireball I've ever seen. Looking back it was pretty cool that we didn't get hurt.

3126489924_2fef2b200c.jpg

Coleman "Green Key" Press Release

As far as the recycling part goes, are the tanks being refilled professionally or is the scrap metal being reused? It sure makes sense to take this a step further and have a Coleman dropoff site at sporting goods stores. I'm sure they could figure out a way to have them reuse the cylinder directly instead of doing the roundabout scrap metal way.

Why don't they add a core or deposit to each bottle? That would keep some of them off of the ice at least. I'd be OK with that, since I pick them up every time I use them.

That would be a great idea. I save all my empties all year and use them for target practice in the spring. Once properly "ventilated" they go the the scrap processor.