• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter Rides

Dave S

I just checked the trail status now that the majoirty of deer hunting has finished.

All updates have been made yesterday. As it is right now, the Nemadji State Forest ATV trails are posted as "Closed for the Season".

Some trails such as the Moosewalk and Red Dot are listed as open. But these can be a haul for us "Southerners" to make a day trip out of.

If anyone has an idea of where they would like to have a winter time ride planned, please post here so we can monitor specific trail closures.

I thought most of the Nemadji trails were open? "open as signed", but who knows where that is. It is very dry up there. No reason they aren't open.

Spider Lake, Solana, Pine Center all open.

St. Croix also says "open as signed".

any trails that double as snowmobile trails will close to ATV's on december 1st.

I believe spider lake trails are open all year, and there are a few others.

myself, I find it hard to ride in winter due to the cold temps, I have no hand gaurds or windsheild. I do most my winter riding pulling the portable ice house around.

There's a few different entries for Nemadji. There is one that says Forest Roads and Trails "Open as signed".

But, there is also: Nemadji State Forest: Washington/Ramsey ATV Club CLOSED for the season.

Knoppers,

on one of our rides last year, it was 5 above when we arrived at the trailhead. I wore a set of Ice Armor bibs and jacket (non-insulated) with a pair of Ice Armor mittens and was very comfortable. I also don't have a windshield or handguards on my machine. Or a heated seat or hand or thumb warmers like Somethingfishy's polaris.

any trails that double as snowmobile trails will close to ATV's on december 1st.

I'd like to know who thought that up. It's too bad, there will be alot of wasted time with no one being able to use the trails.

As for riding in the winter, I agree. With proper gear and the will to ride, it isn't bad at all. It's actually fun. Must be, because that is when I do most of my riding.

Quote:
I'd like to know who thought that up. It's too bad, there will be alot of wasted time with no one being able to use the trails.
Quote:

I'm guessing our hunyucks in St. Paul smile We know their all concerned about our safety.

I think it has to do with the fact that anything with wheels will rip up a groomed trail. Snowmobilers want smooth groomed trails.