• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portrait Practice

I like the shot Mike, it might be a tad dark but that really is a personal preference that in PP could change. Sometimes its hard when you are not doing the PP to know what might or might not work on a shot, so I will go with I like it this way. Good work!

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the kind words. I hope to work on more portrait photography over the winter. It's something that I really would like to do more of but right now I don't like it because I'm not comfortable at all doing it. Hopefully I'll get more comfortable as I go along.

Boy, I can't wait to see what shows up on here when you get comfortable.

Birdsong here are the basics just in case you are like I was 3 days ago and didn't have an exif reader.

# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/60 second = 0.01667 second

# Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 8/1 = F8

# ISO Speed Ratings = 200

# Original Date/Time = 2008:11:09 17:38:25

# Shutter Speed Value (APEX) = 5906891/1000000

Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) = 1/60 second

# Aperture Value (APEX) = 6/1

Aperture = F8

# Flash = Flash fired, auto mode, return light not detected

# Focal Length = 2000/10 mm = 200 mm

Thanks for posting that Yak and thanks for the compliment. In addition to the info that was posted, I was using a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens with an off camera SB800 flash camera left and a white reflector camera right.

As a side note, I was happy to read in a magazine I just bought that the 70-200mm f2.8 is, according to experts, the best portrait lens. I know that several of the experts here also use it. I'm happy about that but not nearly as happy as my wife since I don't have to by a new lens. grin

I agree with the experts Mike, the 70-200/2.8 is hands down the best portrait lens for me smilesmilesmile I will still not use that as an excuse why I need another lens though, there is always a better lens that must be purchased! grin

There is no such thing as the "best" portrait lens. I use my 100 f2.8 and 17-40 f4L as often as the 70-200 f2.8L for portraits. The 70-200 f2.8 of any make is a pretty darn good one, though, in quite a lot of situations. gringringrin

Sure there is Steve, the one that works the best for you smile I shot over 2,000 portraits in just the last two months alone and I used one lens. So for my use its the "best". Others as always will have different ideas on what works best for them and their uses. I edited my above post to clarify that. smile