• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the best trail camera??

I bought a couple stealthcam I590 this season and i love them. They are a 5 megapixel digital that really takes good pictures and were only $100 bucks. Here is a picture from one of them. I printed off a bunch of pictures from them and they look great. They'll also take video footage but i havent used that function yet. I bought them after reading a couple reviews. The one HSOforum claimed they had never used a $100 camera and came away impressed but they did with this one. They claimed overall they are better than most $200 cameras. They said the battery life was very good with them and i will agree with that. I've compared the pics from this camera from a couple "higher end" cameras and i was impressed by the pics from this camera compared to the other pics. I'm tempted to go buy a 3rd. Oh another thing this HSOforum said was how good the flash was on this camera but it didnt seem to "overpower" the animals. This buck in this photo stood there for almost 5 minutes and i had 8 pictures of him. I had multiple pics of every deer that came in so the flash didnt scare them off.

14-pointer002.jpg

I had a good first go around with my Bushnell Trail Sentry. It's around a 2MP. Although I pulled it today and it was powered down. I've been playing with it a bit and it seems to be working now, not sure what the issue was.

I paid $100 for it.

I have the ScoutGuard at $199 and couldn't be happier. It's 5mp and so far I got 450 10 sec videos, day and night (has ir no flash) and I'm still got 50% of the 2st set of 4 aa batts. Everything has been taken on HQ and daytime vids are great, night time very good, the only thing I'd change is the spread on the ir lighting for night shots is narrow, about 5yds wide at 20 ft, but reaches out to 40.

Read very good reviews on an independent trail cam review site called Chasing Game.

Good luck, they are a lot of fun!

Ive had pretty good luck with my moultrie I-40's so far. i payed 170$ each for em. They've been out since august...19th i beleive..? and have taken thousands of pictures and battery life is still around 80%. I did test a scoutgaurd for 2 weeks and loved the picture quality, although as mentioned above, the ir wasnt too spectacular. I think the best app. for that camera would be to hang it high pointing down towards the ground (9-12 feet. I dont think i could go with a flash camera after having IR.. i had trespassers 2 weeks ago, got pics of em from about 15 feet away. Luckily i had the cam about 10' high and they never even knew it was there!! If that were a flash camera it woulda been gone...

I would second the Moultrie I40. Love mine and have been very happy with the trigger speed...like about 1-2 seconds, pretty good for me. That too was for $179 at your local Family Outfitters store in Walker.

mr.

Just do a google search for chasing game. I have Cuddeback No Flash cams. Overall I'm happy with them. My next ones will probably be Moultries. I've heard great things about both the D40 (flash) and I40 (infrared) and I like the fact that they give temp and moon phase. If Cuddeback would ever get their Capture IR's here from China, I'd like to try them as well.

i've got a moultrie outfitter 5.0 IR. takes great pix, night and day. 72 leds for the IR, which i do believe is the most out there. 45 ft range at night. has been out since memorial day weekend, taken 1900 pix, and as of last weekend, still had 72% of its battery life, on 6 dcells. the info strip with time, date, moonphase, and temp is pretty neat, as i have been able to notice deer are active at certain times by comparing hundreds of pics.

probably the best camera out there for the money, at 230 bucks!

Thanks to all who gave suggestions. I ended up with a Moultrie I-40 IR camera. I set it out yesterday afternoon and pulled it this evening after hunting. I had 105 pictures. I cleared what I thought was all the brush and tall grass, but I missed a couple things. Did get three pictures of a monster raccoon and the rest empty frames.

Thanks again for all the advice,

Michael

Lund- your best bet is to hang it high with like a tree pod mount, im talking like 8-10 feet or even 10-12' pointing down at the ground. You get better pics of the deer-they almost never notice the camera, your gonna have NO false triggers and the other plus is that someone is going to have to really try if they want to steal it.