• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grouse shot?

Quote:
Doesn't it do tremendous damage to the meat?

Nope, not for the couple times I have taken down grouse with #4 shot. Same thing also, maybe one pellet when cleaning bird found.

I know I've thrown my opinion around a bit, and there are some very valid points. However, no matter what you shoot, it's getting the shot off accurately that counts.

The mathematical advantage is exactly why I use 7 1/2. I do use 6 later in the season, and for ground birds. I have found that the oz. of shot you use is VERY important for brush busting!

Speaking of ground birds, it's odd that you never see them on the ground and have a chance to take them. I see them on the ground all of the time on the way out to a lot of my stomping grounds. Sometime's I'll take 'em, sometimes I'll do the old "1,2,3" and if they haven't flushed, the ony thing they deserve is to be laid on a plate next to some wild rice. Other times I'll drive up to them and flush them, and chase 'em down with the dogs. If I do a 3 hour walk and get into my truck empty-handed, only to see a ruffie sitting on the trail on the way out, he's surely getting lead tossed his way!

One word Matt "Bemidji" grin

I hunt down this way and if I am lucky, get up as far as Effie.

Seems as you get further south, the birds do not act like birds from up north. I have seen them on the ground, but by the time my eye figures out what it is (not a squirrel), the bird see’s me and flushes. Plus I hunt with dogs (as I am sure you do also) and they are pretty much on anything in and around the front of me with in 10-30’ before I can get my eye on it.

I also will say I have never had the privilege of seeing grouse up on the dirt road in the afternoon eating gravel yet frown

Could just the person also grin. They could be all around me grin

It'll happen for you shackbash... wink

I used to live near Mille Lacs, toward Aitkin, and had a lot of the little buggers around our yard, on our road, and on the roads I hunted. It's all about timing I suppose. I remember hunting around Farm Island one day, dead of winter, and I walked with my pup nearly all darn day. I shot a ruffie that sailed and landed on the ice of a slough. My dog wouldn't walk out to get it, and I should've known why. I went in hip-high through the ice, walked back roughly a mile to the truck, freezing cold, pants frozen stiff... On the way out, there stood a ruffie, he stayed, watched me get out, load the gun, walk 60 feet straight at him, and boom, in the bag...

I miss hunting around Aitkin/Mille Lacs. I had some very good days down there! The 3rd best year I ever had was in that area!

If I shot more birds in the air i might switch to a smaller load, but alot of the hunting we do is off a wheeler or truck. We drive till we see a little head up behind a downed log or something like that. Some of you might scoff, but I think that's harder than seeing your dog go on point, getting ready, and flushing 'em up. I'm extremely proud when all I spot is a grouse's eye when it's hiding in tall grass and am able to uncase, load up, and pop him. It's just a different kinda game

I won't scoff, because I've done it, and do it still from time to time.

I have to say that it is in no way, whatsoever, harder, not one bit, nor as gratifying as walking behind my GSP's, seeing them point, trying to figure out where they're pointing, which kind of point it is, and then trying to shoot a bird, bursting with power, through thick brush and trees. Not even close!

I have to say that it is in no way, whatsoever, harder, not one bit, nor as gratifying as walking behind my GSP's, seeing them point, trying to figure out where they're pointing, which kind of point it is, and then trying to shoot a bird, bursting with power, through thick brush and trees. Not even close!

X2 thats what its all about. You can not beat a good a day with the dogs.

Hey Matt, you should try make a trip down the bird numbers are good and they are always a bit more spooky down here. I almost never even have the oppoptunity for shots on the ground. Once the birds are pointed they almost allways flush....or run off.. The sporting factor is high. As I'm sure you remember... I know it's hard to justify the trip when you got birds in your back yard but this year and next should be good....good luck... uplander

Where are you at uplander? I actually do make it down from time to time for work, and usually hunt a bit while I'm there. I work in Onamia, Mora, etc..

I've found that it's true that the birds get a bit more skittish as you go South..

The ground birds I get are never with the dogs, they always are and always were without the dogs, or getting lucky on the way out to areas we walk(ed).

I live by Elk River but hunt around Mora and Mille Lacs quite a bit because the drive is so short.. I went to school in Bemidji back in the day so i love it around there too. From what I've been hearing the numbers were not all that good last year. So I'm a little leary to make the trek up that far when the numbers are so good so close..Plus my mom lives just North of Mora which makes a great drop spot for my 2 sons.. Temps are gonna be warm this weekend but I might get out Sunday morning for a bit

early in the year I use low brass 7 1/2 shot, later in the year I will use the high brass. there is something about 7 1/2, my shot gun gets better results with 7 1/2 over 8 shot.

I got 4 birds opening weekend.