• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

construction on lake bemidji

muskymaster

As I drove by the Mississippi on my way to college, I noticed construction work on the south side of lake Bemidji. I saw that they put rocks on the edge to prevent erosion and I thought this would be a great habitat for the reproduction of fish during the spawning times. Does anyone know the details on what the plans are?

muskymaster-
Do you attend Bemidji state? I am looking at attending there, I think there is a lot of possibilities for a great education and also to chase the game through the woods, meadows and check the depths of the lakes around.
Best Fishes
Chris

i could be wrong, but I don't think they put rocks in the water. They just put thema round the shoreline, covering up a black tarp.

I liked it the natural way better. The rocks just keep in all the pollution, wheras the weeds before filtered it out. No trees left anymore, either. And it wouldn't have had to cost tax payers a dime.

They are putting in rocks on top of a black paper(similar to tarpaper) twelve feet out into the lake and adding some trees to make the south end of lake more scenic as they fix the road. The project is being done with partnership between the transportation dept and the dnr. It is meant to try to make this a spawning area for walleyes. There was a project done similar to this near the High Banks on Lake Winnie and has had good results. Hope this helps.

Matt

I read an article in the local Bemidji Pioneer either this week or last about the rocks on the south side of the lake. It is being done in conjunction with the DNR to build a walleye spawning area for the lake. I bet you will be able to walk on the boats out there this spring.

------------------
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.
(Mark Twain)

Keep on Fishing!,

Woodman

huskiesplayer15, I am also planning on going there too. How old are you? Im a junior in high school so I have a year left.
Bobb-o, if I have any Questions I also might drop you a email if its ok. I have a cousin thats going there right now so that helps me out a lot. smile.gif

Sounds like if the rocks are in the water far enough the walleyes might have a good chance at spawning. At least they are not doing any harm by doing it.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300
And keep those hooks sharp!

I think woodman, myself, and Grunt all went to BSU. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you want to know what the school produces, just look at us, we didn't turn out half bad.....did we?

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

[This message has been edited by Matt Breuer (edited 03-04-2004).]

Matt- You are correct with that! grin.gif I am still attending BSU for my Masters Degree. I would recommend the college to anybody, it as lots to offer you and you are in the middle of Gods Fishing Country!

------------------
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.
(Mark Twain)

Keep on Fishing!,

Woodman

Going to school is great. It can be hard to concentrate on your work, when there is so much hunting and fishing to do. The bemidji location is so close to many great fisheries like red lake and winnie. There are so many small lakes around that have awesome crappie and perch fishing that keeps me fishing close to home. It takes a little prospecting. It's hard to fish every lake around the area, but it's fun to see what some of those under pressured lakes can put up for numbers. I've lived up here most of my life. so I know the area. If you have questions about school or anything, drop me an email at [email protected]

Back when I went to BSU, we used to cast into the river by Pamida in the winter. That was fishing. I was up a couple weeks back and surprised to see that there were no shacks in that area. They may be banned because of the construction. Was friends with a local kid who lived across from Cameron. We used to fish from there alot.

We go to the state park a couple times a summer and will be there for Memorial Weekend this year.

Bemidji has really changed from when I was a student. It was mostly 3.2 joints. Places like the Beaver Pond and Viking are gone. I'm sure students have found other places to have fun. One of the bigger events was the Mad Dog parties. Many a lunch was lost.

If any of you want to go to a good state school, go to the only one worth attending: St Cloud State University. :-) If you can't guess that is where I graduated from. Plenty of good fishing right on campus and along the Beaver Trails in the Mississip

Yes, I did go to BSU. Turning out not half bad...that depends on the day. Those rocks and such will be a pretty cool deal. The fish should use them pretty quickly since some already go in that area for spawning anyway. Remember, It Helps to Use...

Matt Phelps

------------------
phelpstackle.com