• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

reseasoning cast iron pan

I have a cast iron fry pan that I like to fry my fish with. It started to stick in a few areas so I decided to clean it and then to reseason it. I have used lard a couple times in the oven at 300 degrees, turned the pan upside down and let it bake for a couple (2) hours, but the pan still seems to come out sticky. Will that harden after I use the pan, or am I missing a step?

Backtroller, I JUST (Sat eve) Reseasoned 4 of my cast iron pans. The easiest way to do this is on the grill! First I made supper for us, then I put the pans on, upsidedown, until the coals go out. If your pans are coming out sticky, and you're using lard or Crisco, you're not getting them hot enough. I season mine 3 times before I use them again, and then I use them until I mess 'em up and reseason them again. It's not as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. I DO use a thin coat of Crisco on mine and after 3 times on the grill, I'll put them up against the best non-stick! Get the heat up, you'll see the difference. BTW, Tomato sauce is VERY bad for the seasoning, 'personal experience' and something to keep in mind. Phred52

Any good brand of oil will work to season cast iron. The original oil that was used was probably olive oil, but I have used other kinds as well. Myself I usually clean the surface of the pan then wipe it down with a cloth or paper towel soaked in oil. I will then put the pan in my Weber and let it bake on the weber for about 30 minutes.

You can use the oven at home but sometimes if the oil is not high grade you will get some smoking and that might be an issue if you have a wife. For some odd reason they get a little funny about a kitchen that smells of smoke and burnt oil??? (Go figure, huh?)

Another thing that works if you are ever out in camp is to did a hole, line it with aluminum foil then put coals in the hole. place cov er the coals with a little dirt then place the oiled pan in the hole and bury it. Let it bake over the coals for about 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Remove the pan and let it cool down, wash it and your pan ought to be seasoned.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

It shouldn't be necessary to repeatedly re-season cast-iron pans. One sure fire way to force re-seasoning is to wash the pan with soap. NEVER do this. Rinse it out with water only and dry it promptly.

I had a pan one time that was well seasoned and I never had to re-season it until a roommate's sister washed it with dishsoap. Took a while to get it back to normal again.

Bob

Ralph, When I season them on the grill, I put the cover on (kettle grill), and as stated before, I just let it go until the coals go out. I'm constantly trying different things in the cast iron, not always successful, so I've gained experience with the reseasoning. "Acidic" recipes REALLY do a number on the cast iron seasoning!! Phred52