• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chevy Volt

Just wondering what you gearheads in the know think about the Chevy Volt? I don't have a roundtrip commute that is under 40 miles, but if I did I might consider this car. It'll be ready in 2010 and I'm curious how much it will cost.

Have lithium ion batteries come far enough to have a serviceable product? I know I've been impressed with how far cell phone and video camera lithium batteries have come in 8-10 years, maybe cars are the next jump?

From what I read it will be a 40 mile range. However, these cars will cost 30,000 to 40,000 dollars. 80 cents per charge. It appears at this point they are not a real practicle alternative. Let's hope they get better. Just bring back the Geo Metro at a decent price.

I am sure I saw the base price on the Volt around 22K. I thought it was too cheap, but we will have to see. Also, the Volt has an on board charger so if you go over 40 miles, it charges as you go. I am looking to getting one, but I have seen many different view of the price.

Unless I am wrong the Prius and previous Honda's have used Nimh batteries, not the lion. That's why with the new volt they can get 40 miles on battery alone. Cool technology, hopefully they can make it work and be reliable in everyday driving conditions.

They were shooting for $30k, but I believe it will be around $40k when all is said and done, as those batteries are NOT cheap. However, you are going to get some major tax breaks. Currently its going to be around $7500 credit and there is strong support to get it even higher. The EPA is probably going to give it an seperate classification than the other hybrids out there and a rating of around 100 mpg. Of course who knows when you get the gov involved!!!

Won't make much sense unless you have a longer commute (and gas stays high), but I suppose that didn't stop people from buying prius' marked up 10-20k over sticker price either.

Who knows, it could be a homerun or an infield fly!!!

CJH