• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Moon Shot

Sorry, it was too tempting to get out and practice tonight. No bugs and it's not 20 below like last time. This was taken with a D50 with a 70-300VR and a Kenko 1.4TC, at 300mm with the VR off on a tripod, remote tripped, manual focus, 1/250, f8, 400iso eq value 0 no post edit other than about a 60% crop. As always C&C welcome.

Moon1.jpg

Nice shot, yak. With no PP at all done on that shot, it'll sharpen up very nicely when you PP it. Sweet warm color on that, too. With moon shots, I generally lasso the orb itself just inside its border with the sky and individually sharpen it. By avoiding capturing the actual edge, I avoid a sharpening halo.

A'right,

I hope Yakfisher don't mind me posting my pics in his post, since it's the same topic as the moon. eek

2 pics. 1 from last night, and 1 from this morning. Got the idea from stfcatfish (Steve) when he posted his daylight moon. I was inspired by him! smile

Last night...

nightmoon.jpg

This morning...

daylightmoon.jpg

For some reason I liked the daylight moon shot, it looked like it turned out better than last night moon. I didn't really settled down and took my time with the shots last night. But this morning, I took the time to get the settings down.

Night moon shot setting was ISO 400, at AV f11 using 400mm F2.8 plus using the 2X Extender

This morning shot setting was ISO 400, at AV f14 with exposure compensation at -2/3 with same lens as light night.

I'll need to experiment some more. It's been a long, long time since I posted last year of the moon eclipse. I can't even remember what settings I had it back then!

Thanks Steve. Here it is after being sharpened about 25%. I have a tough time figuring out how much sharpness too add. So, I ran the auto sharpness adjustment and decided that it wasn't quite sharpened enough so I reset it and then sharpened it manually. Let me know what you think.

moon2.jpg

Yak, it's noticeably sharper but can be sharper yet without appearing too noisy. Using unsharp mask in Photoshop CS2, I set my radius at .7 generally and won't hesitate to sharpen something like this 300 percent or more for online viewing. It will vary based on subject and lens sharpness, so a person should experiment to get the best results.

Also, images viewed online on and LCD appear sharper than they don on CRT screens, just as a point of info.

Marc, nice images. Sharp and sweet.

Thank you for letting me butting in...Yak, it's sharper. I think what I would do is add a little more contrast and brighten it up a bit, without overdoing it. Maybe you'd better not listen to me, I have a knack of overdoing pictures in saturation, and contrast!

It looks better on the second pic!

Thanks Steve!