• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many years does it take a walleye to get to 16 inches?

BLACKJACK

If you're looking at a stocking report and it says that they stocked 2 million walleye fry in 2002, how many years will it before they reach 16 inches? How about fingerlings? Figure an average lake in central Minnesota. Thanks.

Fry and fingerlings should be about the same as they are from the same year class. the fingerlings that are planted could run a little bigger in the fall than there spring stocked siblings because the ponds where alot of these are raised are more fertile than alot of lakes. I would agree with above post 3 maybe 4 years.

According to the DNR, it generally takes three to four years for a walleye to grow to 14 inches in length (minimum length) and six to eight years for a walleye to reach 22 inches in length. A typical walleye can live 15 years and reach 20 lbs.

Walleye have been known to live as long as 26 years in cold northern waters, although a walleye over 15 years old is rare. How fast a walleye grows and how big it becomes is largely dependent upon the availability of food and the length of the growing season. In Canadian waters where there is a very short growing season and not much food a seven-year-old walleye may only weigh about two pounds. The same fish in a southern lake, with an eight- or nine-month growing season and abundant food, may grow to 15 pounds during that same seven-year period.

From what i have read, it is almost all about the latitude of the lake and the further north you go the slower they grow and the longer they live. I read the DNR report for my favorite lake in central minnesota and they said that they netted a walleye twenty years old only 28". I have caught a 31" and i have seen a picute of a 34" out of the same lake and I am sure that they are 20+ years old.