• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buzz sticks

bemidjiwonderer

Hey BW, They had a topic on these about a week or so ago. The way I took it alot of guys werent to happy with em. I think it was something to do with the yellow button falling off . My guess ccatch more fishermen than fish.

My regular fishing buddy and I both have Buzz sticks and we thought they really worked great. Then he got an Aqua-Vu and we observed the bait not moving one bit. We looked at both lures and neither one moved at all. We were both in tears laughing so hard that we had fished with these for hours on LOW, Winnie, Red, and Mille Lacs thinking these wonders of technology were putting fish on our hooks. I don't know if anybody else has watched them on camera, but I know in 20 ft. that there is absolutely no movement on the business end of the line.

Here are a couple links to the old forums mentioned.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/003780.html

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/003909.html

I haven't used one but they look like a gimick to me. I will stick with my Thorne Bros Rods hands down the best rods I have ever owned.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

When using a Buzz-Stick you need to make sure that your bait is heavy enough so that your line stays tight. Because otherwise you aren't going to be able to see the movement. That and you need to get close if you are looking at it on camera. Some baits have a very tiny amount of movement. Or they just shimmer, which is what Chubby Darters do. But I work for the company so you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you like.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 02-04-2004).]

Guess I'm in the minority-- I like the product. It's not a magic wand as some people seem to expect of it, but both the concept and its function are sound, especially once you recognize situations where it works. Perhaps improvements could eventually be made to the button, allowing it to more easily be triggered with a natural fishing grip. But the rod has a place, I believe.

One is when fishing shallow weed flats for panfish, particularly when sightfishing. On a short taught line, as you guys have stated, the "buzz" absolutely quivers certain jigs like no action humans can impart. Maybe it mimics the natural nervous "whirling" movements of daphnids, copepods and amphipods frequently eaten by panfish. Or maybe the buzz looks nothing like this to a fish. But I've definitely seen certain stand-offish bluegills and crappies respond to it, again, while sightfishing shallow weeds. Takes a certain type of jig, too-- something like a Genz Pounder that fishes heavy for its size-- to well receive and transmit the vibrations.

Ok, so maybe I'm a sucker for new fishing gizmos, but a gimmick? Well . . . Lots of fisherman thought that about plenty of new products, until, frankly, they learned to use 'em in the right situations. Heck, there was a time years ago that 99% of the walleye world thought crankbaits were worthless for their fish. smile.gif

-a friend called Toad

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 02-04-2004).]

I got my grandfather on for christmas, he thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. went around buzzing all the relitives. lol. took it to the LOW and got to see it in action once, then it broke. Just stopped vibrating. NOT IMPRESSED! Well got back to his house and forgot to bring it with me to return it. Turns out they make them in Brainerd and that's were he lives. He took right to them and they replaced it no questions asked. It hasn't quit since. Only thing he had to do was tape the button on so it doesn't fall off.

I kind of thought it might be a gimik but baught one anyway.I didn't want to hear it was effective and then they were sold out.
Like others I found out that its works best when in shallower water.All though I have seen it wiggle a 1/8 oz jig at 20feet.
I have also seen it turn some negative crappies into biters and almost aggressive whn nothing else would work.It makes a Shrimpo deadly. smile.gif
Only draw back is the button falling off.

Thanks for the info guys.

Thats pretty hilarious about the camera.

I have to replace my combos because i borrowed them to my brother tow weekends ago and they fell out of his truck somewhere on LOW near 16 mile i think. Sort of upset about that but what are brothers for right?

He's paying for replacements so i better not complain too much but its sort of inconvenient to have to reseet everything to the way i like it.

Good luck fishing everyone and thanks for the links to the old forums.

We have noticed the button issue. If you need one let me know. I've got about 5k as extras. Next year we've made an easier button to push, and the stupid won't fall off. You'll be very impressed.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

When I first saw one I thought it would be fun to try ot, I paid $40 for the rod and reel and spent another $30 on several vertical Rapals.

I wish Id spent the $40 on a "Buzz"
instead.
A Goog Buzz would have lasted longer... ( I would have felt beter too, for blowing the $$$ ) My line tangled around the thing that vibrates (It should be Called a "Vibrator stick atleast you'd know your jist might get F#%%$^%d ).
The tiny tiney little power wires broke off, they were covered with a Cheap kind of black tape that loosens up when Cold. then your line will tangle with it. Those wires are the smallest Ive seen!! their thiner than any fishing line and way oo small for Me to repair. My Leftover "Stick" tip Broke off Last week from being next to my Heater. I still have that Reel though. Its A Reminder of the Whole experance.
Hopefully It will Be "that first thing a;ways drops down the hole next year."

In my opinion your money would be beter spent on a "Buzz" and the left over money could Buy a Quality rod or reel.

At least my jigging Rapals are still working for me.

Fishdog

------------------

I think he's talking about getting drunk (lol). I have a Buzz stick and haven't had any problems with it all year. I fish every weekend and some weekdays when available. Hasn't failed me yet. Maybe I just take care of my equipment better. To back buzz stick owners, it does work when several other methods won't. Went to LOW and outfished my buddies 5 to 1. Give it a buzz and the walleyes (and eelpout) would hit. It does work best in shallower water (20 feet or less) and on the appropriate line. You can't have a 1/32 oz jig on 4 pound test. Just my two cents.