• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
The Grebe

FluoroCarbon

For any muskie fisherment that care to comment...does Fluoro cut as readily as Mono?

I bought a leader and it was like $6.95 and I thought to myself, "Self, you should tie your own?" I laid hands on some 50# test stuff, but before I start the engine, I wanted some opinions from some truely blooded muskie fishermen.....I've caught a few, but nothing to write home about, so I was just wondering?

I'd go heavier that 50# myself... It would depend on the line you use, make your leader stronger than your line.

I use 65# & 80# braided line..

and

I use 80# & 130# leaders.. unless trolling

Hiya -

After considerable experimenting with Fluoro leader materials, I won't use anything less that #100. Lighter leader cuts too easily and isn't as shock resistant besides. #100 means crimps rather than knots, so there's a little extra equipment to get going, but it's still far cheaper than buying leaders in the long run. A 25 yd spool of #125 TripleFish musky leader is about 25 bucks...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

BF/RK...Thanks fellas, I kinda thought that 50# would be a little to light, but since I know nothing about fluroroCarbon line, what do I know? Could be it takes a chainsaw to cut the stuff....then I would think the 50# would hold a pretty big fish.

Maybe I'll save the 50# for use with bass lures in waters where the occassional muskie is caught.

I seen a replica in the bait shop in Milaca, of a muskie that came out of Mille Lacs....Me thinks I'm going to upgrade my equipment! Come to think of it, to heck with 50# test leaders!

If you're not up for making your own, or lazy like me, a 15" 130# fluoro leader is sold at Thorne Brothers for $4.49.....

I do like the 80# if I'm strictly targeting pike, but the 130# is my leader of choice with just about everything for muskies.

Cjac...Thanks, I guess i best take a trip out there. My son bought me a couple of lures from there, surprised the heck out of me on Monday, when we went out to Tonka.

He got me a Top Raider and a spinner called a Ghost Cloud or something like that? I do know that it is a cool looking lure and I'm going to try my dangdest to catch something on it! Didn't happen on Monday, no runs, no hits, no errors...gonna have to try harder...that isn't a bad thing.

I was using an 80# fluorocarbon leader this past weekend and it certainly seemed to get caught up in the trebles a lot easier. Has this been a problem for others?

I have spools of 40#, 80#, and 200# flourocarbon. I use crimps for all of them. I use 5' 40# leaders for trolling walleyes and they work great. Haven't had a biteoff since I've gone that route. I use a duolock on one end and a single ring on the other (no swivel) when pulling cranks. I use the 80# to build short leaders when pike are lurking, most will have a swivel on one end and a snap lock on the other. For Muskie I use 200# flouro. The rods I use to troll for Muskies have 3' 200# flouro with a single ring on one end and a snap lock on the other. These work great for cranks. If I'm pulling spinners, bucktails, etc I may switch out and use some 3' leaders made with a swivel and a snaplock. For casting I use 12-18" long 200# leaders with a swivel and a snaplock for hardware. I also make similar leaders out of stranded wire and have some with straight wire that I use on my jerkbait rod.